Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What ECU?? MBE, Motec, DTA, OMEX or Emerald

EFA

It´s indeed a huge knob I have..tehe.... 😬

Honestly, it´s not that big, the nylon one. I haven´t done it yet but try searching the web for inboard pictures of the curretn german DTM series. They are all running these cells with a knob around it and it doesn´t look too big.

I´ll try too find a picture, too.

Marius

Arnie - all the 941 family of ECU's have flat shift but with a single delay setting for all gear changes. The only area where the latest software, which is standard on the 970 and may or may not be back fittable to older 941's, is that you can set a different delay for each change. For this you need a gear position input to the ECU, if you are happy with a single delay setting you just need the gearchange "switch". With a sequential does the speed of one gear change differ significantly from others?

Marius,

It would appear from the data on the .pdf that the unit has an integral amplifier giving the 1 - 4V O/P. There is nothing special about a strain gauge load cell working in both directions as the strain pattern is simply reversed if the load is reversed. The load cell you have been supplied with has a 4V offset therefore, when load is applied which would cause the signal to be >4V, the amp saturates and no change of signal is recorded. The offset can be set to whatever is required, so it would be possible to have the offset in the centre of the amp range so that the load cell would work in both directions.

It is perfectly feasible to strain gauge the gearlever itself and fit an integral amp with the required gain and offset, as this is common practice in motorsport.

Matt.

With a sequential does the speed of one gear change differ significantly from others?

Having taken the lid off mine and studied how the seq mechanism works I think there will be a significant time difference to move between some gears so I think the variable "gear position" based delay is a key requirement.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fit a switch to the lever actualted by the movement for downchange - I have heard a central locking solenoid can be used to blip the throttle on downchanges. All that is required is another timer to activate the solenoid - completely removing the need to heal and toe 😬 😬 😬

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

quote: "completely removing the need to heal and toe 😬"

Are you not in danger of ending up re-inventing the automatic gearbox ?

Much as I'd like a sequential, I can't help thinking that some of the fun is being lost if all you do is mash you right foot to the floor and flick the lever when the revs cause a certain light to come on. I know it's a bit more than that but you get the point I trust.......

I had the same fear but once you do it you'll never look back - It's a real buzz and the powershift brings a smile to my face every time I use it.

Although the strain guage was v.expensive it's probably the cheapest performance i've bought for a long time.

A sequential gearbox on it's own is a considerable improvement over an H pattern box but a powershift really highlights the advantage.

Once fitted you don't have to use the powershift - Mine's turned on permanently but the ignition cut is so short that you don't notice it with slow changes. You can also still use the clutch with a sequential if you really want to.

I may now even look for an airshifter linked to a button on the steering wheel so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel to change gear and hence concentrate on keeping the car as straight as possible.

Home of BDR700

From what I read here it appears that the MBE 970 is the best (MBE) ECU for flat shifting with my Quaife box. However I understand that my current MBE 967 will also support this. Has anybody got experience of using a 967?

I understand that a 970 needs major changes to the wiring loom to fit to an R500.

Off the shelf designed to fit on the gear lever - £375 plus Vat from the Strain Guage Company - I think you're paying for accuracy/reliability in the calibration to be honest. You wouldn't notice it on the gear lever either unless you knew what you were looking for.

Home of BDR700

• 3 weeks later...