Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.6 upgrade thoughts.

BruceW

Yes I know it has been asked many times before but here is my slant. My car is coming up to 12/12 old so time to review the options for upgrades. Currently bog-standard 1.6K SV 5sp. Loving it. No track use now or intended.

I'd like a bit more power, not at the expense of fragility or tempermentality.

Thoughts- Supersports upgrade via Caterham. Keeps warranty/re-sale value. Dead end for future. Means having to take car to them which is miles away and involves trailers or train rides and weekend time which is a premium. Is it good value? How do the benefits feel on road use vs track use?

Dave Andrews and others. Cam upgrade, change ECU etc perhaps. Leaves door open for future and more flexible options/better value. Less value on resale. ?fiddly to sort out ECU etc. Miles away again. Cannot do myself-I'm not confident with cam timing etc. Is fitting a new ECU at home easy/worthwhile without new cams?

I think that what I really want is a trusted local garage who can do the work but I cannot find one so far.

Any advice?

Bruce

bruce, a call for help in finding an emerald map(presuming you're an EU2 loom) will get you far down the proverbial path. adding an emerald does help improve performance from my experience. you could add a wideband lambda sensor (replaces one in exhaust now) and get a bit more.

i'm sure someone will come along and add to this, but you can get 5-10% or more with this.

Steve B

Faster than the Speed of Dark Join us on the USA 2005 tour......HERE

Bear in mind that whatever you do you will need to retain a catalyst exhaust to pass MOT in 2 years time.

If you have the standard exhaust then you might want to change to a better header arrangement. This will give lots of improvements throughout the rev range.

Recently seen a neat Hayward and Scott exhaust that keeps the catalyst but gives better header lengths and 4-2-1.

I recently spoke to dave Andrews and he recommended for my 1.6K to go the K13 kit route first and then at a later date K04. The first may be a good choice for you with a further upgrade path in the future.

The only thing I thought strange was why bother with the K13 and go straight to the K04.

Here is the web site - http://members.aol.com/DVAPower/

I'm back *biggrin*

just picking up on the exhaust thread. I am after a long manifold exhaust for SV - doesn't need to have cat as I have a spare cat exhaust stored away for SVa/Mot. I was wondering what options are open as opposed to the c£650 caterham want for R500? Sorry to hi jack thread.

Honest stans car sales *biggrin*

Petrolhead,

At the moment the Emerald ECU is not plug compatible with your loom so you cannot fit any kit that incudes an Emerald. That is why I suggested kit K13 which is a big valve head with suitable cams which gives 150-155BHP on a 1600 and runs happily on the standard MEMs.

Fitting the K04 kit on its own is not the same thing as first fitting the K13 kit, then fitting the K04. The K04 kit utilises the existing completely standard head which will limit both the cam spec and the output. The K13 kit includes a fully ported big valve head which flows enough air for 200BHP and will accept all but the most radical cams.

When the Emerald is plug compatible you can then *add* the K04 kit. The combination of the K13 and K04 will give you the equivalent of the K05 kit but with a much better head spec. That way you can acheive a useful power boost right away (150-155, 155-160 on an 1800) without having to throw too much away at the next upgrade. Also your choice of cams is wider since the K13 head includes Piper uprated springs which will accept the lift from all cams up to 740 spec. The K13 head has Colsibro guides and Paul Ivey (REC) stainless steel valves throughout. This combination with BP285H cams should give 180BHP+ on a 1600 and 190BHP+ on an 1800.

The only thing you would need to discard from the K13 kit when upgrading would be the cams which should fetch a reasonable price on the secondhand market since they are Supersport equivalents but with better torque characteristics.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 27 Jul 2003 10:25:24

I have a 'development' loom for eu2 to eu3 avqailable at £50 if anyone is interedsted. It will not allow for the IACV to be operated properly (Wiring and ECU firmware i think) Drop me a mail if you are interested. Price is £25 less than i paid for it

I'm also considering the Caterham supersport upgrade for my Roadsport 1.6.

Has anyone out there had this done, or changed from a Roadsport to a Supersport car? Is there a noticeable difference?

Caterham quote £999. for the upgrade, I presume this is plus the cost of fitting.

Kermit the K *smile*

ISTR that is the fitted price, but that was over 12 mths ago. Unless you plan to re-use Caterham for a trade in or need to keep a warranty for now, then I'd go for the DVA kits here - more cost effective, and a better route to upgrade from.

Regards,

Martin

The Hayward and Scott exhaust is on my car, and they just cut off the manifold and welded their own one onto the old exhaust. Very good workmanship (thanks Arnie for the recommendation).

EU3 loom CAN be used with Emerald, but you need to either:

a) cut off your old loom plug and wire in the emerald one (no way back!)

b) speak very nicely to Carl at Emerald or Oily to get the Rover ECU plug so that you can wire yourself an adaptor (so you are still backwards compatible)

Running without an IACV, seems absolutely fine to me and the driveability is vastly improved at low revs because the ECU isn't trying to second guess you with the IACV.

BTW I also have an 1.6 academy car and the standard exhaust manifold is pants. If you have worries about mapping I'm happy to donate my map - standard plenum, 4-2-1 exhaust, no IACV, standard cams if it will help.

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Map the emerald so it can drive as well as idle

S5EVN

Edited by - charlie_pank on 28 Jul 2003 11:37:23