Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec performance parts

Rory

I strongly recomend that you guys talk to Ammo at Raceco , He,s putting together a 200 bhp zetec for me as we speak (i hope 😬) . He has all the right bits and bobs to help your quest for power *wink* *thumbup*

Marc.

soon to be FATTRACK

I would say cams and porting at this stage. You will not reap the full benefits of the cams without the porting. Don't want to turn this into Tech Talk but the standard head only flows 102 cfm @ 7.5 mm. The cam most people fit to the 2 litre Zetec is Kent's FZ2002. This has a lift of around 11 mm. Once ported the head flows anything between 125 / 135 cfm depending on how much time you are willing to put in or money you are willing to spend. 125 cfm is enough for 215 bhp, 135 cfm 232 bhp. I don't think fitting cams alone to the 2 litre is likely to show 175 bhp on the dyno. I built an engine for a fellow Blatchatter and it made a genuine 195 bhp on Dennis Vessey's dyno. All the other 195 bhp engines he tested struggled to make 175 bhp. It's all in th head.

AMMO

Ta Mark *thumbup* 😬 Engine progressing nicely.

Jon, Nic an Rich, don't forget your ARP rod bolts!

Engines at this level of tune (190/195 bhp)are boringly reliable and probably more than enough power for most people. Get in touch direct if you need any info.

AMMO

Hi Ammo, to what extent does the head have to be ported to flow the kind of numbers you are talking about ? I have a 2.0L waiting to be mucked about with. I'm removing a Xflow currently running Jenvey 45s and DTA, was hoping to achieve around the 200bhp mark, but the more the merrier.

cheers ---john---

This IS turning into Tech Talk.

John, I quote 190 bhp for a Zetec with FZ2002 on 45 carbs (they usually make a bit more more but I'd rather quote 190 and they make 195 rather than the other way around). Remember also that dynos all read differently and if they read a bit optimistically people like to believe the higher figure.

As Marc has been talking about 200 bhp but wants to stick to carbs I've decided to fit some experimental hydraulic 290 degree cams to his engine. These involve a bit more work as the pistons have to be pocketed. We should see over 200 (real) bhp with these. Marc wanted hydraulic profiles because like me he would rather be driving his car than maintaining it. We'll see if the cams work after the engine is in and dynoed. We are sticking to stock size valves 32/28 but I have 33 and 34 mm inlets and 29 mm exhausts also but this adds to the cost.

The Zetec fitted with FZ2002 cams will make more on throttle bodies because the carbs are restrictive. A head with over 130 cfm of flow goes down to only 113 cfm fitted with 45 mm carbs with 36 mm chokes. Fitted with 45 mm throttle bodies the flow goes down to 125 cfm approx. If you do the calculations 113 cfm is equivalent to 194.36 bhp and 125 cfm is good for 215 bhp. You cannot always stick to flowbench figures but I have a lot of examples over the last 15 years that have been incredibly accurate. I flowbench tested Luke Beaumont's VVC and came up with a figure of approx. 175 bhp. It made 174 bhp.

So, in conclusion, have a good porting job done on your head. Go for throttle bodies or more cam than the FZ2002 if you are sticking to carbs if you want to see over 200 bhp from you motor.

Ciao ciao

AMMO

Just got back from a weekend away and all of this sounds really interesting. AMMO thanks for all the tecy stuff, It sounds great!!!! but to me it could of been dutch!!!! My knowledge is all of - I know I have an engine it is the big heavy thing in front making the great noice and putting a smile on my face!!!!

I have a 2.0l with twin webber 45s fettled by Dunnel acording to the histoy of the car - I think 165bhp?

I would like a bit more power BUT want to keep the reliability as I know nothing about engines!!! I am very interested in the cams porting etc as I have been advised to keep the car just under 200bhp. A couple of questions How much? and will it be reliable?

Is it best for me to call or carry on here or email?

Thanks