Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Emerald diaries: day 2

charlie_pank

After Peter C very kindly came around on Tuesday night and got me set up with a very driveable map, I thought it was going to be a long time before the rev-limiter turned a blind-eye to me sloping off into the garage. However, last night was "ER" night, so I got to go for a blat :)

I found a couple of little flat spots, which, when I looked at the fuel map were easy to correct, but there was something else that left me with a question:

Does anyone else have a problem with the Emerald tacho output? At certain revs the rev-counter seems to go bonkers. I have yet to check all the wiring I've done etc... but I was wondering if anyone else had similar problems that weren't down to wiring problems, my gut feeling is it's something else.

oooh and, does anyone know what the power is of the bulb in the tacho - do I need to put a relay in the circuit to switch it or not? (I do if it's above 3W)

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Map the emerald so it can drive as well as idle

S5EVN

Edited by - charlie_pank on 24 Jul 2003 14:06:46

Coil and tacho are separate according to the wiring diagram, but it is around 4K that I have the problem. How did you fix it if that's how the emerald was wired with the old generation one?

Charlie'n'Kermit

S5EVN

more More and MORE!! - When Peter started out he had to add masses of fuel to the map, all the flat spots I've found so far have matched up well with dips in the fuelling curve on the map, so it's been a pretty simple process so far (thanks to PC putting it in a decent state to start with).

Charlie'n'Kermit

S5EVN

I don't know what borewash is, but as I understand it, if you have too little fuel under a lot of load (ie you'll be fine at 2-3k anyway), then you are at risk of detonation, which kills engines very quickly. I think unless you go really overboard then the only damage overfuelling does is to your wallet. Someone will be along to put me right in a minute though...

Charlie'n'Kermit

S5EVN

I'm sure you are right about detonation being the bigger worry.

I would be very interested to know what numbers you have on your injection map at loadsites 3 and 4 at 2500 and 3000rpm.Mine are as follows.

2500/3 -67, 3000/3 - 67, 2500/4 - 77, 3000/4 - 79.

Are yours anything like these as this is where my flatspot is,

eng.1.8 VHPD.

Hope you got your tacho fixed

Cheers.

Andy you can get my map here

I think there's too much fuel between 1500 and 3000 at very light throttle, there may be some more to put in at around 6000 on full throttle, and the warm up enrichments all screwed up because the temp sender is above the exhaust manifold.. oh yes and it's not a vhpd, whereas yours is!

Edited by - charlie_pank on 30 Jul 2003 07:02:33

Andy,

Those values are for a VHPD with the older Rover style bodies, these have wedges on the throttle which soften the throttle response so that load positions 3 and 4 dont actually meter as much air as you would normally have from TBs at that throttle opening.

If you have the later VHPD bodies which bolt directly to the head, then load positions 3 and 4 will pass much more air and lead to a lean condition. As the throttle opens further, the discrepancy becomes less, but at light throttle openings it may be significant enough to give a flat spot. The advance might also be a bit higher than required since cylinder filling will now be a bit better.

Oily