Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Laminova bulk order - anyone interested ?

Anthony

Depressed as hell at work ☹️, so decided to cheer myself up *smile*

I am looking to fit a Laminova oil/water heat exchanger, ala Rob Grigsby

In summary ;

1. When starting up the water in the car will heat up faster than the oil and therefore the oil, through the heat exchanger will be heated more quickly ( good news for reduced engine wear )

2. When the car is at opperating temperature the process is reversed and the water which will be lower temp than oil will keep the oil at a sensible temp.

Anyway, before I go and buy one of these I wondered if anyone is interested in a bulk buy ? If so I will see what can be done.

If you are interested let me know.

Blurb off Think Automotive site below

The amazing Laminova laminar flow cooler has opened the automotive market to oil to water coolers. The Mocal oil to air coolers are lighter, cheaper and less bulky for a comparable performance but the Laminova coolers are resistant to crash damage, can be cleaned after a blow up and in installations where a plentiful air flow cannot be obtained are invaluable.

The main components, the outer shell and the core(s) are aluminium extrusions.

The cores have, by some magical process, been machined to provide fins 0.2 mm ( 7 thou) thick and 3mm high and spaced 0.3mm (11 thou) apart through which the oil flows, such restrictive finning would normally cause a huge pressure drop, but by introducing channels in the finning, the oil flow is kept laminar as opposed to turbulent as in other cooler designs and the pressure drop remains low.

The water flows through extruded channels in the outer shell, removable plugs/restrictors control water pressure drop.

This construction is versatile the shell and core being made in 4 different diameters with, in theory, infinitely variable lengths. For very compact installations, cores may be slotted into each other. We stock the 34mm core diameter cooler, transmission, power steering cooler, the 50 mm with twin cores for heavy duty engine cooling and the most popular 43mm, engine & transmission cooler, in three lengths. Other diameters and lengths to special order.

Waterside connections for 16mm, 18mm, 26mm, 32mm, 38mm, 42mm and 45mm bore hoses also -16, -20 and -24 SAE 37o (JIC) threaded unions.

Oil side male connections for -6, -8, -10, -12 and -16SAE 37o (JIC) also 3/4BSP are stocked, others to special order.

The shell and connections can be polished and anodised to special order 😬

• Support Team

My Laminova arrived from Think yesterday. Matthew has a list of the parts needed already and offered an excellent discount for L7OC members which I think unlikely to be bettered in a bulk buy (but nothing to stop you trying *smile*). Bear in mind that the hoses and connections required may be slightly different if you have not got an Apollo tank.

My Radtec radiator arrived last week but you might still be able to get on the bulk buy - give them a call. The radiator is very nicely made and should provide much more cooling ability than the standard Caterham effort (and probably even the triple pass race radiator).

If you have a wet sump K and are regulalry getting high oil and/or water temperatures (especially on track) then this set-up should treat the symptoms quite nicely. Bear in mind that the root cause of the problem is windage which can only be eliminated with a dry sump (sadly too expensive for me at the moment).

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32