Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Handbrake for MOT

mikemeade

Can anybody in the Herts/Kent/Essex area, lend me a handbrake and cables, so that I can get my Caterham through the MOT?

The car has standard rear calipers and is fitted with a line lock in the rear hydraulic line, it is a Vauxhall race chassis with the narrow tunnel and no handbrake cut out. I would therefore need to use the underdash handbrake set up.

As an alternative, do you know of any 'Caterham friendly' MOT stations, that would 'accept' the line lock?

Tek it somewhere where all the testers are too fat to sit in the car. Keep it off the rollers by pointing out you have a plate type LSD.

Works for me - no handbrake since 1998

Also its worth knowing you can blag that the Seven has two separate braking systems as they are split front/rear not diag. Hydraulic handbrakes are acceprtable but are not regualted by age despite the fact that the only reason for acceptance is such that some vintage cars had them.

Small MOT centres who do free retests are best - they have no financial incentive to fail you - especially if you look like you maintain the car yourself!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here