Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall clutch/flywheel

Marius

Arnie, yes it´s the GM dish type one carrying the name "heaviest flywheel in the world". If it should come loose at high rpm it would probably fly to New Zealand and back.

I´m about to fit a lightened one but that´s in some month. For now the standard one has to do. If you don´t place the washers between flywheel and clutch the clutch won´t engage completely.

Marius

They are just 'ordinary' washers. Like you I just removed the clutch and flywheel for lightening/balancing and they are not special - you should check with Caterham though just in case, 'cos I noticed that my flywheel (pot-type) like yours had actually ground itself a small furrow in the bell-housing. My suspicion is that the Cat bell-housing was originally designed for the non-pot type flywheel and then just continued the same when Vauxhall/Opel altered the flywheel design to give better slow-running and emissions control on the fuel injected engine

Paul

Arnie, engine puts out around 220-230bhp so still far away from yours, didn´t put it on the dyno yet. Still running in the engine so I did not rev it beyond 4.500rpm yet. As already mentioned flywheel/clutch and TB´s are the next points on my shopping list. Do you know if it´s possible to keep the non-hydraulic-clutch with a very light flywheel and racing-clutch?? I don´t trust this hydraulic one, everything that carries fluid might leak....

Paul, my flywheel works well with the bell-housing but I recognized a small gap which had been machined at the bottom of the bell-housing. Maybe yours does not have this little gap. Anyway, I´ll put some standard washers in now and will wait for the results. Just pulled the engine out to throw in a new Quaife box, build by SPC. This evening I fitted the quick-shift-lever from Quaife, wow, throw is VERY short now. I´ll let you know if it works....

Marius

Marius

A proper race clutch like the QM one Peter and I are using requires the following mods:

Hydraulic actuation (You wont get the leverage required on a cable clutch, and if you do it will be totally without finesse)

The hydraulic system will cost you about £500 on its own by the time you have had all the one off bits made to get the spacing right. The actuation mechanism must not exert the springs more than 4,5mm and there must be 3mm of slack to allow for clutch wear. I don;t think the Caterham system would eb able to do this.

You will find it is torque that kills the clutch covers (it snaps the drive straps on the edge of the cover) A company in the UK called Helix makes std covers which have the straps upgraded.

The organic drive plate you currently have will also die with 230bhp.

I have a used steel flywheel which is about half the weight of the setup you presently have for sale for £100, and it has a couple of covers and AP sintered paddle plates which can be refurbed to "as new" for about £120 also. This lot would cost about £600 new if you are interested????

As you sound as if you currently have your engine out this may be a good chance???

The Quaife Quickshift is a good match with the 5spd s/c h/d box. I used this combo before downgrading??? to a six speed........

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

It really is very very very very full now!!!

Damn Arnie, sounds like having to spend money again. Unfortunately my crank/flywheel-assembly has just been fully balanced and meanwhile I´m sick of strippin the car every 4 month for new modifications. Sorry, no use for the clutch. I´ll do it properly next winter (obviously hydraulic then). Somehow I have to get closer to K2RUM to strenghten the Vauxhall-brigade!

If you can´t sell me your flywheel/clutch, why don´t you sell me some copies of your K2RUM tapes? Santa Pod, Le Mans, doughnuts, everything !! I need these films when it rains outside to keep my mood up! I´ll pay a good price, promised! Please contact me on marius@mospeed.de

Thanks,

Marius

Maruis et all

Yesterday I watched a video titled Tiff Needells Burning Rubber.....

Really poor production, but a good section on jow to doughnut, powerslide and ultimately do Tiff's famous reverse flick ( the forwards, reverse. forwards thing Jan Lammers is also famous for doing when overtaking!!!!)

Great rainy day theory before the rain starts!

Trouble is I need two things I dont have....

1. A handbrake

2. A runway to practise on.

Any suggestions???

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

It really is very very very very full now!!!