Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What's the difference between...

charlie_pank

EU2 and EU3?

So far I know this:

1. distributor vs. wasted spark

2. sensible loom plug vs. 70+ pin plug from hell (well Siemens actually)

Does anyone know if the injectors are the same size, I have suspicion they may be smaller on the EU3, but by how much?....

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Map the emerald so it can drive as well as idle

S5EVN

BTTT - surely someone knows the answer! Got a very kind person coming round to help me sort out the rest of the map this evening and this info would be invaluable...

Charlie'n'Kermit

S5EVN

EU2/EU3..

Revised plenum which includes a new type of IACV which the Emerald cannot yet control, a combined air temperature and MAP sensor fitted to the top of the plenum (EU2 has MAP sensor in ECU and aair temp sensor on the inlet runner), wasted spark system with closed coupled (plug top) coils, cam phase sensor on cam cover to allow sequential injection and revised loom, absence of rotor arm spigot and distributor cap from the end of the inlet cam, new plastic cam cover/shroud to prevent water ingress to the coils/HT.

AFAIK the injectors fitted to the 1800 and 1600 are the same capacity as before (the same maps run happily) although they are a different design and have revised connectors, they will physically fit anywhere the older Bosch injectors will. The 1400 injectors have a lower capacity.

Oily

Thanks oily. From what I can see the Emerald doesn't use the MAP sensor at all. It's got a screen for MAP adjustments but they're all set to 0 in the map I'm using. (1600 SS).

I'm surprised to learn that the injectors are the same size as I needed to add a lot of fuel to the map at idle to get the engine to run. The next load/engine speed point we get to has a much lower value for fuel and it immediately gets upset and runs lean enough to splutter a lot.

Charlie'n'Kermit

S5EVN

OK, I have found some answers that may help.

The EU3 runs sequential injection, but the Emerald doesn't, even when plugged into an EU3 loom. The Emerald has a scaling factor for injector size. This should be scaled to 61 microseconds/bit. This will give continuity with maps developed before the injector scaling could be adjusted and is an appropriate value for the standard Bosch injectors in the 1.6 and 1.8 k-series.