Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Salty roads

amosian

I promised myself that when I got the Seven it would never go out in anything but perfect weather. Three days later, I have just returned from an awesome drive - pitch black, wet, raining and grit all over the roads. I am still grinning!

Now I am a little worried that when I wake up tomorrow the car will have been replaced by a pile of rust standing on some s****y alloys. What is the best way to clean the car after taking him out in the winter and what places must particular attention be paid to?

Thanks in advance

Don't do it!!

The powder coating on the chassis tubes offers very poor protection, also the galvanic cell set up between the ali body and the chassis tubes exacerbates the problem.

My car is 5 years old and I've just spent 4 (not so leisurely) weekends compensating for my initial enthusiasm (engine out, petrol tank out) in order to get to grips with the problem.

If I had my time over again (and don't we all wish that were the case)I would before the build have all the parts I could properly protected from corrosion - in my opinion nylon coated(Kelcoat in Leek). I would then make sure the chassis tubes were absolutely clean and coat them with waxoyl or similar-whatever you use it doesn't in my opinion make much difference, you simply want an effective physical barrier between the **** and the chassis.

In your case, you are not dealing with a new chassis, so try and get it as 'new' as possible i.e. jet wash all the crevices, then, the difficult bit at this time of year, dry it so absolutely no moisture remains, then proceed as above.

It's no quick solution, but it's worth doing it right, then hopefully you won't need to do it again.

Paul