Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-Series water rail leak

Strangely

Hi,

I've noticed that there is a crack in my K-Series water rail, the one which runs alongside the block, just above the exhaust. The crack is just behind the mounting bolt, near the front of the engine, possibly originating from when my new exhaust was fitted some time ago. Water is weeping, rather than gushing out.

Can this be reliably fixed, or do I need a new water rail? If it can be fixed, what's the best way?

Cheery,

Jason.

http://www.strangely.org/

I wouldn't be happy trying to weld something like that insitu, partially drain down your system and remove the complete pipe, I would also replace the small oval gasket where it bolts up to the rear of the block, there have been several postings regarding these weeping so a bit dodgy to re-use the old gasket, good luck.

Phil S7SVN

DO NOT DRIVE it in this condition.... *thumbdown* *thumbdown* replace the water rail

a head gasket is a terrible price to pay, as many(myself included) have learned *mad* *mad*

we chased a water leak for 2 weeks we couldn't find, and it went to an unscrupulous dealer who said it wasn't the rail. the CC factory proved that indivual was W-R-O-N-Gand i got left with the bill (as have others).

you have been warned

Steve B

Faster than the Speed of Dark Join us on the USA 2005 tour......HERE

I've just had exactly the same problem on my 1995 1.4k. Fixed (welded) by Caterham at Dartford, cheaply, whilst car was in for service. They say they don't make the part any more, for that age of engine.

Nodrog

N910 RPM

I had this problem too on my VVC car....the rail was from memory £80 something from Caterham.

Think part of the problem is that the thing does not seem to be made too accurately (despite the £80 price tag) so you will find that it is under tension after you have put in the single bolt fixing above the exhaust. A couple of washers under the little bracket spaces it off so that it just sits nicely as nature intended.

Also watch the gasket at the union to the head...there is very little contact area on the Rover gasket, I ended up making one out of gasket paper to maximise the sealing area. I would also recommend a smear of RTV on the gasket when fitting to make doublely sure.

One of the reasons I now have a VX powered car...

JonP

No longer Sevenless....!