Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Starter Motor won't turn!!!

Paul-R

My K-Series 7 wouldn't start yesterday, checked the battery, read 12.02 volts, charged it overnight, now 12.63 volts, still won't start. Relay clicks, but no action from the starter motor. Tried another (good) battery, no success.

Exactly the same thing happened a few weeks ago after I charged the battery, but I tried it two days later and it started first time, and started thereafter.

Doesn't appear to be the battery, maybe the starter motor is on the way out.

Any ideas?

Paul

standard caterham starter problem...

2 causes

- if the solenoid is on top then the solenoid connection could well have vibrated/heated itself loose. Take solenoid off, take apart and re-solder. You can work round this by using a long (insulated) big screwdriver to short from the main feed (big fat red wire) to the solenoid connection. DONT short the feed to the exhaust. Wiggling the solenoid feed sometimes does the job.

- if the solenoid is below then something goes wrong with the circuit so that there is enough juice to click the relay but not activate the solenoid. This can also happen to the solenoid-on-top type. Re wire with feed to solenoid going straight from the batt (via a fuse) switched by a relay. The relay is activated by the 'old' solenoid feed. You can work round this by soldering in a fly lead to the solenoid feed (at the solenoid end). Run the free end up by the battery and secure out of the way. Whenit won't start touch the bare wire end to the positive terminal on the batt with the ignition on and the gbox in neutral to start.

Graham

Many thanks Graham.

Mine is the 'soleniod at the bottom type', so I will give the relay solution a try. I did spot an article in low flying describing something similiar, although it referred to a 'hot starting' problem, since mine won't start from cold I wasn't sure it was related.

thanks again Paul.