Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Indicators for road use ?

fatcat

In addition to the main front & rear indicators, I've got the little indicator repeaters on the outside edge of the cycle wings. However as the car is mostly used for racing, they are going to get knocked off sooner or later if I don't remove them first. Does anyone know if they are a legal requirement as I would still like to be able to drive the car on the road occasionally ?

regards

fc

Depending upon the tester, you may get problems come M.O.T. time.

The indicators should be visible from the sides and all three-quarter angles. Some will argue that the existing front indicators can be seen from the side (just) but not sure all will be convinced.

You could always mount side repeaters on the side of the bodywork or on the sides of the headlight bowls as many have done. The repeaters from Fiat coupe look good and are a popular choice for this.

However you will find that if you take the repeaters off the cycle wings you will have holes in the sides which won't look great.

I may be wrong, if so, someone will correct me.

The legal requirement is for indicators to be visible from the side (the angles/height etc are defined). The Caterham front indicator lens meets this requirement so the repeater lamp is not required.

Anyway I've taken mine off and it passes the MOT

norman verona

1989 BDR