Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silencers

Jules O

Having got the Supersport R upgrade, my previously quiet 1.6ss is now 100db+. Raceco silencer seems to be the obvious way to go but I need to work out what connector size. The car (98 Superlight) currently has a 4:1 fitting. A rough measurement and some basic maths seems to calculate it a 2 1/8" bore. Has anybody done this before - Raceco std size is 2 1/4" - thanks for any views.

Many thanks

Jules

ps I am a mechanical ultra novice so taking it off to measure would be a major event.

Hi Jules

I fitted a Raceco silencer on my VX earlier this year. It was very easy to have the collector modified, I had a well known Basildon based stainless exhaust fabricators do this for me, and it cost less than a round of drinks.

Don’t worry about it, just give AMMO a call.

Chris...

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Jules,

I got the Raceco silencer about a month ago. Superb quality and massive noise reduction whilst still maintaining the quality of the exhaust note, especially at high revs. If you send the collector off to Raceco they will modify it for you for £50 so all you have to do is bolt it all on the car - 10mins / really simple.

Hightly recommend it and a very happy customer.

Echo that. I sent my collector and silencer to Raceco. New, shiny titanium and modified collector arrived a few days later. Fits out of box. Excellent and seems much quiter (not yet tested on meter, that come next week at Bedford).

It's lighter, quieter, looks nicer and (I seem to remember) might even "flow" better. How good is that!

Jules, bit of a hijack I know but as you already have good answers to your questions I hope no one minds.

I am interested in your views on the SuperSport R upgrade, I have been considering this for a while on my standard 1.8K. What is it like in terms of driveability on the road, any views on fuel consumption etc.

Anything you have would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Right first thing's first!

you say you have the 4-1, is that collected inside the engine bay? if so you are suffocating the perfrormance of the engine, the best upgrade is the exhaust primaries this allows the engine to breath, you'd be amazed at the difference!

If this is the case look at getting the whole system changed, i've the powerspeed exhaust system.

if you already have the 4-1 outside then *thumbup*, raceco is the dogs nuts!!! *thumbup* 😬

as far as upgrades look at DVA, cheaper cost and better preformance IMHO.

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Thanks to all who replied on the silencer question, including Mike. Looks like Raceco is the way to go (as I already have 4:1 outside).

On the SSR conversion, here are my views after 3 months or so.

- much noisier but a much better noise (really awesome at high revs)

- great pops and bangs, if you like that sort of thing

- much better torque which has improved driveability for me (my car was a 1.6 Superlight)

- much faster in the real world. I had driven the R300 some time back and was not impressed but having lived with the upgrade it is faster everywhere

- fuel consumption is not something that has ever bothered me and I honestly have no idea (sorry)

- not a convincing starter any more but always does start. I have had none of the low rev probs of others

- great service from the factory

The car has lost the "sweetness" of the original 1.6 Superlight package in some respects but is all together more serious in nature. I had owned the car for 3 years and wanted more go generally. Having so many nice carbon bits on my car, LSD etc from the original Superlight package plus a Stach tacho with fun metrics it seemed like the best way ahead rather than a new car. As for Caterham conversion over DVA I wanted the car to remain in the network at resale and I could afford it. DVA and others have lots of supporters but I can only comment on what I have.

I am in W London if you want to see/ride in the result.

Jules