Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gearbox & Diff oil change

Mrs Kipper

Guys

I intend doing an oil change on gearbox and diff. Car is 2000 De-Dion 1.6KSS with six speed.

Is there anything that would cause any problems? Is it just a matter of draining the old oil and refilling until I can't get any more oil in? Is it a job I can do by putting the car on axle stands or does it need to be on a ramp?

Any tips/hints will be appreciated.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

You can drain the six speed no problem, but I don't know how you would do this with the diff, there is no drain plug?. You would have to take the axle out completly.....waits to be corrected

Is there a need to replace these oils, I though it was just a case of topping up if needed. Is it in the service schedule?

As already said, these oils should only need topping up. But........

If you do wish to change the oil in the diff, try using an oil suction gun- I found one, reference KEN-54-0380K from Cromwell Tools. Costs about £7 or so.

I used it to drain my dry sump tank last week prior to a full oil change. Using it is a bit messy (have lots of rags or paper handy!)- it extracts 500cc at a time, but it is considerably better than paying £50 or so for a proper oil extraction thingy. No doubt somebody will comment about leaving a residue of old oil that you cannot get out by this method, but it is the simplest solution.

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here

Guys

Many thanks for the info. I was just trying to save myself some garage bills and naively thought that the gearbox and diff needed regular changes like the engine. I have mastered the engine oil/filter change so I thought the next step would be gearbox and diff.

That's what is so good about Blatchat - expert advice for free.

Thanks again.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.