Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rad Fixing - do you need bobbins

Anthony

In the time honoured tradition of fitting everything at least 6 times before car will run, I have fitted rad to check relationship to R500 fan ( thanks Miraz ).

The question I have is - do I need to use the bobbins to hold the rad ? Can I not bolt it direct to the chassis ?

Happy to have the bobbins if they serve a purpose, but if not essential rad moves back an inch or so and we have progress

By the way R500 fan will need to go infront of the rad unless anyone has any fab ideas on location the fan behind the rad. It will fit between rack and chassis tubes but that leaves in c. 4" away from the rad and will defeat the point of having the larger fan...

The chassis is pre-96 with revised suspension pick up. *confused*

Welcome your thoughts

Caterham recommend ditching the bobbins if you are using the big fan setup - you could add some thick rubber washers to improve vibration insulation, but it's not really necessary. The factory should be able to provide you with a copy of the fitting instructions for the big fan kit to confirm this.

I did over 20,000 miles with the rad directly bolted to the chassis without any radiator problems - it is worth spending some time making sure that the mounting brackets for the big fan don't rub on the sides of the radiator though.