Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Headlight change

Alex Rae

This is where i feel really stupid - most folk have built their own cars, and I can't even change a bl**dy bulb without having to ask for help 🙆🏻

Anyway - here's the question. I've lost sidelight and dipped main beam (full beam still works) on one side. a) What kind of bulb would be best and b) how do i fit it??

I've got the outer glass off, but couldn't work out how to get the reflector off to get to the bulb. Please keep the answers simple for my simple mind.

Many thanks.

AJ02RAE

Alex,

Assuming it's not just an electrical fault...

The dip and main beams are from the same bulb. This will be an 'H4' fitting. Many people will recommend you go to Powerbulbs here and order the Phillips 'Blue Vision' or 50% extra bulbs (the Blues - actually a very white light) come in at 19 quid.

And you get a pair of sidelamp bulbs for free...

Simple - and then you can keep your one remaining main/dip and side bulbs for spares.

Regds,

Myles

Oh, you don't get the reflector off, BTW.

Once you've got the front lens off the conical lens housing, what you do is remove the rubber boot on the back of the reflector and then flip off a little wire thingy IIRC. The bulbs go in from the rear, not the front...

Regds,

Myles