Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Redline gear oil?

V7 SLR

For a Caterham 6-speeder

MTL = 75W80 GL4

MT90 = 75W90 GL4

Why one over the other (not terrib ly important, just curious)?

And can you remember how much is needed? Demon Tweeks sells it in quarts. Will one do?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

recently ran across an interesting bit on a Honda Racer's Forum.. Seems Redline Gear Olis are being blamed for several transbox Failures.. Seems the Oil is "dissolving" the plastic ball cages on the Honda Transaxles.. with understandibly horrendous results.

Just Food fer thought/caution.

I used to use a Millers fully synthetic oil (on the gearbox makers suggestion I might add !) and the change was never really baulky when cold but it was slow shifting up at full revs even when hot.

Swapped to MTL and it improved the cold gear-change (I was concerned it might be notchy or baulky, but it isn't) as well as full rev changes when the oil is hot.

I'm pleased I made the change, put it that way.

FWIW, 1 quart bottle = about 0.9 litres. I can't remember how much the Caterham box takes but I always seem to need about 1.25 litres to fill my gearbox (alloy cased type 9), so maybe two bottles might be an idea ??

Two bottles is right (although you won't use it all). Changed to MTL a while back and it has created a very slick changing 'box now as opposed to the baulk/stiff when cold one that I used to have!! Ooh Err Missus.

MTL is also 'approved' of by Phil Stewart; Road & Race Transmissions head honcho.

V7 SLR

I had the ususal mineral oil in my 6 speed, it was changed at the last service (don't ask what to, all I know is that it is not EP90!!!).

Gear change is far far better when clod, although, the box sounds noisier when warm.

Alicat