Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series Camshaft Oil Leak (Calling Keith Jecks)

Mark Durrant

I have recently noticed a minor oil leak from the n/s/f of my 1.6SS K Series. The leak has resulted in a small amount of oil on the outside of the cambelt cover and camshaft cover (n/s/f corner). I intend to investigate the cause this weekend and would be grateful if anyone could advise on what I'm likely to find I noticed that Keith Jecks had a similar leak following the rebuild of his R500 engine (see this months Low Flying) but unfortunately he did not mention how it was cured ☹️, especially as it took two attempts.

Grateful as ever for any advice. *thumbup*

Cheers

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Avoiding the Kerbs

Mark,

DO NOT Unbolt the cam ladder as V7 SLR suggests. It is not necessary and unadvisable. To withdraw the seal you can carefully drill a small hole in the seal and insert a self tapping screw and use this to pull out the seal using a pair of plyers on the screw head. Or if your carefull a small screw driver to simply prize out the seal be carefull not to scratch the cam or it will leak again when you fit the new seal.

Nig,

The answer is YES no problem. Slackening the bolts holding the cam ladder is a very bad idea as the the cam carrier sealant is designed to harden in the areas out of contact with air ie., between the mating surfaces( thats why there is only a small amount of the stuff in the bottle when you buy it). So disturbing the mating surfaces is asking for trouble and not necessary.

Rob.