Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Autocom bulk buy tentative list

Myles

There's a lot more traffic on Chitchat where this thread originated here, so I thought I'd post here.

While V7SLR et al are buzzing around Italy over the next couple of weeks, I'm putting together a more formal list of people who are interested in a BB of Autocom intercom sets. The initial thread threw up about 16 or so tentative expressions of interest, and 'we*' have at least 5 serious follow-ups since I posted yesterday.

It will be a minimum of three weeks until anything concrete happens (if at all...), but if you are interested, follow the link at the top and then mail me your details to me at bc_autocom_bulkbuylist@tesco.net and I'll build the list for V7 and Vinnie on their return... 😬

Regds,

Myles

* I haven't volunteered to organise the BB, just formalise the interest list... *wink*

Edited by - Myles on 15 Jul 2003 13:02:17

I have the original list, and Vinnie has a few more. It wasn't building quickly enough at the time so we shelved it until a better time presented itself. I really wanted mine for Italy and it doesn't look like I'm going to get it now. I'll gladly forward the list to you if you can generate enough interest but we need 25 people I believe to benefit from their bulk buy price.

Incidentally, it looks like we might be able to get very cheap second hand two-way radios too. We need to chase Sheddy up for those though.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Nige - could you post a summary of the spec, what it includes and price as the last thread is abit disjointed -it should make it easier for interested parties to make a decision without all the technical gumph.

Honest stans car sales *biggrin*

Hi All,

First of all, just in case, I have no personal connection with Autocom whatsoever *smile*

However, I have struck up a friendly relationship with them during and since I put together a bulk buy of 26 units earlier this year.

What we bought: An amp and two ear defender type headsets with a power lead to run the amp off the car. With this kit you have voice activated microphones and easy conversation with your passenger. The ear defenders block out the "hard noise" but you can still hear the good stuff from the front.

To this basic setup we added a phone lead and interface block (those things that clip to the bottom of your phone) With this addition you now have hands free for your phone from the seven. The sound quality, even in an aeroscreened seven has to be heard to be believed. I have had conversations whilst driving along a country road and the person on the other end knew I was in a car but thought it was a tin top. *cool* Both the driver and passenger (Where fitted!) can participate in the phone conversation. This can be a problem if your mistress has your mobile number *tongue*

Finally we added a music interface lead. Any portable music player fitted with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack (i.e. 99.9%) can then be connected to the amp too. I have an MD player, some CD players others have MP3's etc etc. The music is heard through both headsets in stereo.

This lot is seamless. If you talk, the voice activation lowers the volume of the music automatically. If the phone rings the music will mute and you can answer or not (see above *eek*). When you hang up / shut up the music returns to its original level.

I took a friend out this week who had previously been in the Seven with a Terraphone headset. He described the experience as sublime. I took him down a favourite piece of road with max attack, whilst chatting and with Chemical Brothers in the background (Out of control, Nige *cool*)

FInally you can also add a PMR446 (walkie talkie) radio to the amp, in addition to the above but we did not buy these in our deal. On the LTL tour I was talking to Rob G on my mobile, while Geoff Norhcott, in the car in front followed the conversation via radio car to car. He thus became aware that Craig had cracked a DD and that we might need to divert to assist, this was kind of useful as he and his good lady were navigating our convoy. Nige on the other hand was behind me and was oblivious to it all.

PRICE: I have spoken to Autocom about a repeat deal as Nige has intimated. I doubt we can repeat exactly what we had before as Autocom were running a spring campaign at the time and their prices were discounted. We got the discounted trade price. If we get trade I suspect we are looking at a figure of around 500 pounds all in. It may be a tenner either way from there. Autocom won't talk turkey until we have more than 10. If we have over 20 obviously the price will be better. If anyone approaches Autocom I am confident they will be rebuffed. However, as I say, I am confident that with a decent number signed up the deal can be done.

In summary, you cannot compare this kit with Terraphone or Peltor it is just so much better it would be unfair. If you doubt it, track down any of the guys who have the gear and take a test drive, or call them in the car *wink* It does what it says on the tin, brilliantly. Takes 10 minutes to install, less if you decide to run it off its own internal 9v battery.

Vinnie

We recieved ours on LTL, installed it in a couple of minutes using the 9V battery power (no point wiring it in as car is for sale), fiddled with the VOX setting a bit and away we went. It reallly is fantastic. I`ve had my voice activated phone working through it which works really well. I`m now waiting on a Kenwood 2 way radio for car to car and an apple ipod to complete the package 😬

S2 8ELL

Birkin S3 2.0 Zetec 170bhp

• 2 weeks later...