Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help with cooling modifications

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I now have Radtec radiator on order and will order the Laminova kit from Think shortly. What else do I need?

I am thinking of:

1. Silicon hoses - is there anywhere cheaper than Caterham for the main hoses? - especially since the top hose is going to be butchered to fit the Laminova.

2. 82 degree thermostat - where do I get that from (Rover dealer? Part number?)

3. New fan switch as existing one is sure to break if I don't have a spare (Rover? Part number?)

4. Fan override switch - what do I need? Is it just a switch and some wire or should there be a relay? Any recommendations for type of switch, wiring, routing of wires, etc. gladly received.

I am thinking of doing all this myself (novice seven mechanic status) and am aware of the potential issues with bleeding the system (hence I only want to do it once) but are there any other things I should look out for? Are there any tips/tricks for installing any of these bits?

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

rally design here do cheaper hoses i think, but may not know the exact bits you need. Think automotive here are also worth asking. Caterham will only sell you the 3 big hoses at the first time of asking. ask carefully to get another 3 and then you're only missing the breather from the header tank.

if its a small fan (ie the std one) then a switch and piggy back connectors on the back of the rad switch will do the job nicely.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

Edited by - hoopy on 15 Jul 2003 12:04:25

• Support Team

Cheers Hoopy.

Anyone know what size Laminova I need. I'll be speaking to Think Automotive later this afternoon but if possible I would like to know what I need before calling them.

Another question - howmuch coolant will I need to refill the system?

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 15 Jul 2003 14:11:13

• Support Team

Matthew at Think Automotive was great and knew exactly what I wanted, he even askied if I had an Apollo tank. So Radiator ordered, Laminova ordered. Will get the hoses from Caterham just for convenience. Any suggestions on source of fan switch and 82 degree thermostat - are they Rover parts or Caterham only?

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Try Halfords 82 deg thermostat: part no.HTK 605. Fan switch comes from a 1980's VW Polo but quite cheap from Caterham. If you have an aftermarket ECU it can probably switch the fan for you; far more reliable than the standard set-up.

Mick

Shaun_E,

Just out of interest, how much is the laminova and gubbins for an apollo tanked k costing you? (no heater, I assume)

I don't *need* one, but I would very much like one if only to get the oil up to temp before I hit the next county.

Regds,

Myles

• Support Team

Mick - cheers, I'll try halfords and order the fan switch from Caterham.

Myles -Cost for the Laminova plus fittings from Think Automotive (with L7OC discount) is about £160 (including VAT). If you look at the prices on their web site (see Hoopy's link above) you'll find that's a pretty generous saving. Matthew was very helpful and had a list of the parts that are required. By the way I do have a heater. I intend to fit the Laminova in the radiator top hose (see the link to Will Fly's web site above for fitting instructions).

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32