Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series water rail leak. Well, gush

Tony Whitley

Got to work this morning and water is pouring down from the rear end of the water rail but I can't see where it's coming from (and of course it's too hot to get close). Anyone offer any advice / get me home tips? I've got some tools with me so stripping it down is not out of the question.

TIA

Tony

M1 7 SMW 1.4SS Lotus colours with cycle wings. Back on the road *smile*

My guess is the gasket between the back of the rail and the head. Strip it down (10mm IIRC, if not 8) and you will find a little oval gasket. It's pretty standard, a factor/local mechanic will have sth. similar, or you can make one from a cornflakes box in time honoured fashion. Good luck.

Worst case is you rush to fix it and don't refill without an airlock and warp/soften the head. Take your time, but the best bet is to arrange recovery to home where you can properly examine and fix the leak.

It is a K-series and this is a compromise of the cooling system integrity.

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 15 Jul 2003 10:42:45

Thanks everyone, it is the rail/head gasket that's leaking (and not the head gasket *eek*). I've put some Bar's Leaks into the top hose (which was empty) and then refilled the system through the bleed screw in the top of the radiator (Radtec). It's not leaking any more and I going to risk the 15 minute trip home.

Tony

M1 7 SMW 1.4SS Lotus colours with cycle wings. Back on the road *smile*