Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track day preparation

Meldrew

Sorry for asking basic questions, but I have a few queries prior to Brands Hatch.

Does anyone have an idea what a standard, cat-equipped R300 produces at the noise test? My ears say "lots", but this is somewhat unscientific. I am assuming that it will get through the Brands noise check OK, but does anyone know different?

Second, where should the oil catch tank go? And what should I use for it? I presume there's some form of standard Caterham solution to this, but is there a better way? I realise that this is a question from the darkest recesses of ignorance, but please bear with me.

Anything else I need to sort out apart from the helmet?

Thanks in advance.

Meldrew

no problem with noise at Brands

take some spare oil and check it regularly.

Is it dry sumped? if not keep an eye on the oil pressure through Paddock Hill and Graham Hill bends to make sure it's not surging too much

lastly have a read of Steve Carter's beginners tips at

here

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 14 Jul 2003 13:38:32

• Support Team

You don't need a catch tank for a standard K-series car as the oil system is vented to the cam cover (excuse the poor technical description - it's hot and my brain isn't working).

Other things to take are tyre pressure gauge, tape for the lights (insulating tape or gaffer tape) and some basic tools. A torque wrench is useful for checking your wheel nuts (55lb/ft) but don't forget the socket and extension like I did the first time 😳. The link Mark gave is a good one.

See you there.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If you're going to take a tyre pressure guage, then best to take a pump also... Although there's usually some to be borrowed, you don't need the hassle.

Try some different pressures (hot) It's a great way to tune your chassis without actually seriously messing with bolts and levers. You'll soon progress to messing with bolts and levers 😬. Tyre pressure can make a lot of difference...

If it's your first track day you're unlikely to do any of the above as your brain will be saying aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!... and it'll be lunch time.

Your hands will just about have stopped shaking and your jaw stopped aching when it's time to go out again !

Here are my top two pieces of advice.

1) Check the car, esp water, oil and brakes (check pads, pump your brakes) before going out after lunch. You'll have got it as hot as hell in the morning and it will have cooled over lunch. Now is the time for airlocks and funny things to happen. Warm up slowly over a few laps in the first session after lunch - you and the car *smile*.

2) Give consideration to not doing the last session of the day (depending how many sessions you do).

This is when the gung-ho do or die attitude comes out as people try to 'make the most' of their last chance for the day to show Schumi how it's done.

Apart from avoiding the mayhem, it's a psycological thing, being able to stand back and watch others go for it gives an element of control - and a feeling of righteousness when they stuff it in paddock hill bend trying to out brake an imaginary competitor.

Of course you maybe a careful controlled driver and you may have no nutters in your class in which case just check your fluids and brakes. No scratch that, there are always nutters.

Meldrew,

To get the best out of your car, you need a "Teddy" stuck on the front. 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Doug,

Ps I will be there but not racing *thumbdown* *thumbdown* *thumbdown* , so help... or Pi*S taking will not be far away. *eek* 😬

Doug,

Su77on Se7ens

See our web site here.

Bugger...... I aint done it yet

Meldrew,

My toptip is to get a passenger ride with someone who races or has done so in the past. This will show you the correct line and give a good idea of what the car can do.

Tricky

Academy 2003

Group 1 Number 5

Meldrew

Some excellent stuff here too.

My top tips include:

1. don't forget your steering wheel 😳 - unlike yours truly at Cadwell Park

2. don't have curry for breakfast

3. remove all objects from inside the car (unlike the Roadsport B driver who caused waved yellows during testing because he forgot to remove his carefully prepared set up notes, etc, which then ended up littering Surtees Bend)

4. remember to put your bonnet back on before going out (unlike the Roadsport B driver who turned up for qualifying minus his bonnet)

5. turn right after exiting the pits

On a more serious note, I would agree about giving the last session a miss. Also, I'm not sure if you tend to use your handbrake normally, but on no account use it after a session on track.

Oh, and have a fantastic time *thumbup*

Pat and his not quite black and white cat

• Support Team

Also pack your biggest, widest grin - you'll be needing that 😬.

Fatcat - this is a L7OC day on 23rd September. There was an application form in last months and this months Low Flying but I'm not sure if there are any spaces left.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun_E

thanks for that, I'm already booked in for that one *smile* - just worried that there might be another one that I'd missed 😳

Meldrew

As I trailer my seven to track days, I can carry a reasonable selection of tools, pumps, pressure gauges, etc. in the back of the Landrover You're welcome to borrow things if you need them. However don't assume that I know what to do with any of them !

fc

Noise - I don't know the actual figures, but my R300 (with cat) passed the 105db test at 4,500rpm at Oulton Park recently.

Catch tank - I didn't fit one as there was nothing in the manual, but had the post build check done by Caterham Midlands, who said the car sould be fiited with a catch tank, and fitted it on the top chassis bar passenger side between the radiator and the headlamp rear bracket.