Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

LSD?

paulyb

Had a great blat down to Goodwood for the weekend and wonderful weekend. Returned now suitably frazzled from the sun.

All weekend I've had a bit of an odd noise from the back of the car, which sounds as if something hard is rubbing against metal, but only at low speeds (<25mph) and stopping on acceleration. My girlfriend and I were unable to determine exactly where it was coming from. I thought it was from the diff., but she thought it was coming from the rear nearside wheel.

I thought it could be a bit of grit in the brake caliper or wedged in the wheel somewhere. Jacked up car. Bearings seem ok, wheel off, no sign of anything stuck anywhere between pads / disc or around hub. There appears to be a lot of oil on the chassis / A frame centrally under the diff and the diff was very low on oil - now refilled but no change.

The only thing I did notice was that both rear wheels have about 5 degrees of play in them rotating around, with the driveshafts moving with them. I do not recall this being the case before / is this normal. I guess it is possible I've been driving around for a while with minimal oil in the diff - could this cause permanent problems? / this problem? I have a feeling that the diff oil is leaking out from the front where it meets the propshaft....is this easy to rectify: asume I need a new oil seal.

Any opinions / other suggestions gratefully recieved. (car has LSD)

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Edited by - paulyb on 14 Jul 2003 12:07:36