Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Could you look at your 7 for me

RiF

As I had lots of panels and the scuttle not fitted by Caterham / Arch I have one hole I do not know what to rivet into it *confused*

It is the one on the side of the scuttle, in line with the windscreen triangle, the one nearest the cockpit. If your passenger was to stretch out to hang on, they would touch it.

Is it just a rivet? What size head? Is there a popper there (Can't see it is needed though).

Just can't remember what was there on my last car or find a close up picture, silly isn't it *confused*

Thanks

Richard in France

Duratec engine built, bright yellow chassis finished, internal kevlar/carbon panels fitted, SVA booked for 19 Aug. 😬 *thumbup* 😬 😬.

How old is your car? The pre 96 cars had a rivet at the base of the scuttle just in front of the dash panel that went through a semi-circular bit of ally that overlapped the scuttle to body seam. The post 96 cars don't have this, the scuttle is flat bottomed and just butts up against the body.

I have the pre 96 car and when I first got it there was a rivet in this hole, very big headed rivet but not very big diameter shank, this rivet must have been fitted before the car was painted as the head was body coloured. When I got a new scuttle I could have fitted an ally colour headed rivet but thought that would look naff so I just left it out until I could get it painted, 8 years later it's still missing, no real problem, makes removing the scuttle lots easier.

Thanks Chelspeed,

The car is new. So does this mean it is just a simple rivet but a big head. Car is already painted so would putting a fastener here cause a problem with the door *confused* as it would look better than me painting the rivet.

Richard in France

Duratec engine built, bright yellow chassis finished, internal kevlar/carbon panels fitted, SVA booked for 19 Aug. 😬 *thumbup* 😬 😬.

Its just a black rivet on mine(2001).

I was wondering - if you could tap a thread in the chassis (ideally you'd have a small threaded boss) you could attach this point using a small dome headed set screw. Then you could just unbolt the whole scuttle reasonably quickly and change to a spare which is fitted with an aeroscreen???

Think I might go the screw route.

Thanks

Richard in France