Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.6 vs 1.8 in a superlight

david nelson

Having run both 1.6 and 1.8 I would now go for a 1.6 as the engine is much smoother and more responsive. The reason being the stroke on the 1.6 is shorter and the crank is much lighter. The only area where the 1.8 wins is torque. Also if you eventually want to tune the engine the 1.6 bottom end is much less stressed, 200 bhp no problem.

if you are planning to compete in the l7 sprint series then the 1.6 will put you in a much better class (competitiveness wise)...

not sure if there is much difference on track performance wise, alhtough I have seen no actual data to back that up...

rob

1800 is class 4, its the tyres that move you into class 5.

There was a discussion at the start of the year that plenum 1800's should compete alongside the 1600's, but it was decided they should be separate.

Tom

Dave 1664 - Your original question has already been summed up - 1600 considered by many to be the "sweetest" of the options (esp when paired with the 6 spd 'box) because of smoothness and responsiveness, whereas the 1800 has more torque and is less revvy in nature. Future upgrades (eg Supersport R) may be less expensive if you go 1800 now (rather than pay extra for it later on the 1600). Decide what you want to do with the car and then make your choice - I doubt you'll be disappointed either way. BUT - don't ignore the issue of the sprint class system. At some point you may want to enter a club sprint. As things stand an 1800 on standard plenum will go into class 4 or 5 (depending on tyres), and will be significantly less powerful than most others.

This has started an interesting thread. I run an 1800 Supersport on standard plenum in Class 4 and have significantly less power than most in the class. I'll kick off another thread in "Club Speed Events".

Andy Nicholls

C7 AJN

well i have gone for the 1.8 as my last car was a 1.6 thought a change would be intresting.

I phoned caterham but they were little help when it comes to info on power and torque bands. Does this meen a trip to a RR? or can someone give a rough guess

thanks

David