Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which wheels?

Jan T

I have just placed an order for a Caterham SV with a 1.8 VVC and am confused as to what size wheels I should get. Use will be some touring, town driving ( ie humps are common) and maybe track days. 13, 14 or 16 inch wheels? Advice/comments much appreciated...and needed! Thanks.

Jan T.

I can only comment on the 13" and 16". I bought my 7 (1600 SS) with the 16" HPC wheels and Michelin Pilots. They do look cool as they say. However, on getting a set of 13" with 185/60 tyres, the handling of the latter are streets ahead of the 16". The 16" tramline like nothing on earth on my car and understeer badly. I would go for the smaller wheels every time.

Things that caught me out on changing wheels were:-

1. The ride height was plenty with the 16" with 205/45 rubber, but was not adequate with the 13" 185/60 rubber (height is about 1" less and the sump tended to hit the deck). The same wheels with 185/70 tyres may have been ok but I haven't tried that combination. I have since fitted adjustable platforms to get the ride height acceptable.

2. The front anti-roll bar provided with the 16" combination is the very thin one. Can't recall the dimensions. It basically fills a hole at the front of the car but does not do much else. I changed the ARB to 5/8".

3. The car came with the Caterham soft set up with 150 lb springs. Much too soft with lots of dive etc. I have just uprated these to 170 lb to see how these perform. Too early to comment. I know a lot of owners go even stiffer at the front. Didn't seem to matter with the 16" wheels but doeas matter with the 13" I think.

Not an expert by the way. Just mentioning what I'm doing. I expect you will get a lot of more knowlegable advice from others.

C7 CDW

Jan,

Use will be some touring, town driving ( ie humps are common) and maybe track days.

That's just about everything. If sounds like the trackdays thing is a matter of "maybe". I reckon you will do well on 14in wheels. I don't know anybody who has tried both the 14in and the 16in who doesn't reckon the 14in are better.

Heavy wheels are a big trouble on a light car (even an SV). Tyre size should relate to the load they are carrying. All Sevens are light and the wheels and tyres should be correspondingly small (a simplification).

Yes Roger, I meant to have a word with you about that.

In my profile on the "Handle With Flair" piece you wrote: "He never accepts compromises..."

I don't think it is possible to get very far without accepting compromises. Also I am not obsessive about "getting his [my] car set up absolutely perfectly." I have deliberately set out to keep my car in a state where I am avoiding it handling badly; a compromise made with regard to time and money.

However Jo offers this correction:

"Peter is fanatical to the point of obsession."

Truth will out I suppose.