Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Downshifting

Ferrino

Being new to the Seven experience, I was wondering what the best way to downshift is? I mean, say you are moving from 5th gear to a standstill, do most people tend to shift through each gear, or do some 'skip' gears, say jumping from 3rd to 1st? I am talking about road use only.

Personally, I use each gear when downshifting, as I just find it more satisfying, moving through all the gears and hearing the changes kick in. I guess you get the added engine braking too.

Would be interested to hear if either method is better/worse for component wear/stress etc.......

Thanks *smile*

An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ferrino,

IMHO...

If you are braking to a standstill, going through all the gears just adds wear. If there is some doubt as to whether you will need to start accelerating again before coming to a halt, I would suggest using more gears.

I haven't seen a thread recently, but IIRC, the consensus about using engine-braking as a serious deceleration tool was that using the brakes was a better idea... Apart from anything else - if you do botch it up coming into a corner, you run the risk of both buzzing the engine and locking/dragging the rears.

Regds,

Myles

I agree with Hoopy(sorry for not colouring your letters!) I love changing down as I will toe and heel or at least double de clutch. The sound is the best thing about it. The seven is all about fun.

Go on spoil yourself use as many changes as poss!!! *thumbup*

Not suggesting you use the grears to slow the car - but as you brake keep changing gear. if you get it right (and its fantastic when it works) you'll feel no jerks at all (ie the gears aren't slowing the car) but you will be in the right gear at pretty much all times.

and make more nice noises 😬

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

If braking to a standstill, IMHO use the brakes.

Thats what they are for 😳.

Brake pads/discs are cheaper to look after and replace than Transmissions/engines *smile*.

That said, banging down through the gearbox is such a laugh, especially if you can heel-and-toe *thumbup*!

Downshifting gear by gear does add wear, but, it does leave you able to accelerate away at any moment should the need occur. You've also got the safety aspect though that not downshifting leaves your attention more on the road ahead and your foot more firmly on the brake (rather than just your toes).

Personally, I actually back off ages before many would brake anyway!

I normally block change to the gear I want to be in under braking with a blip of the throttle, but there again, sometimes I get all 'roadcrafty' and don't overlap braking and changing gear, but sometimes I go down the gears blipping away, just for fun!

Variety etc!

Graham

I'm not afraid to embarass myself by revealing ignorance 😳 - but I'm only just coming around to attempting heel'n'toeing. (twas impossible in my 4litre jeeps in Dubai - and pointless in my current jellymobile)

I'm not quite sure how to orientate my foot though - YMMV, probably, but are we talking toes NW or NE? *confused*

I'd be worried about slipping off the pedals in pure N stylee *eek*

Ta!

Regds,

Myles

Gears to go, brakes to slow...

unquote

Definitely not the thing to do in my 7 - brakes are not enough in my car.

Maybe driving style goes into this consideration too!

Re Heel and Toeing - if you have any foot larger than my shoe size (39 - 8 and a half?? ) then probably you can keep your foot on both brake and accelerator and invert/evert foot to selectively press more on one pedal.

In my case my foot gets stuck under the brake if I attempt to do that as the accelerator is lower down in the footwell so I twist the whole leg in (NW :) ) to manage that.

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Classic

(Malta)

.. still not spotted !

my site here

more photos here

For road use (ie not racing) you should "block change" down - ie make sure you know all the potential problems around you and go from 5th or 6th direct to the appropriate gear. It certainly hepls with the wear and tear problem too. NB this advice takes no account of "having fun" or of the desire to make the car make certain noises.

I find that if I skip gears when changing down I am never completely certain at what point to let the clutch fully out for fear of the rear locking, but that is probably because I have always changed down through the gears.

On the Hoopy point, heeling and toeing is one of the many pleasures of the 7 and one of the few cars I can actaully do it smoothly however hard I am braking.

Michael.

hmmm...

PC - I did think about whether it was that problem and having carefully considered the whys and wherefores, analysed my motivations and thought processes, I have come to a definite conclusion...maybe.

svenmad - "Gears to go, brakes to slow...", that's just brainwashing twaddle from the 'advanced motorist' brigade. *biggrin*

hoopy - "only on VERY old vintage cars are the pedals such that you really use the heel", also on cars with floor mounted throttles (organ pedals) and my specially modded caterham pedal. I have lengthened the pedal so I can blip with the lower (IYSWIM) part of my foot having learned in a BMW2002 with a floor mounted pedal.

tarek - "should "block change" down" not sure what "should" means here. I think there is great merit to an iterative (ie gear-by-gear) approach over the block change.

ho hum!

Graham

PS for all you advanced motorists out there, I am the founder and sole member of the "right-to-ratchet" society!!

Edited by - gridgway on 11 Jul 2003 19:36:38

If you want to learn to heel and toe, put the handbrake under the dashboard. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that, I've got so used to it now I even do it in my wife's golf!

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Fit an emerald so I can find out why Kermit's overfuelling

S5EVN

I reckon you should ignore all the suggested ways of using the side of foot, or the heel, and just adjust and play with pedal spacings until YOU are comfortable with what your doing. I personally like to make a point of using my heel but that's my personal preference... and it's done me well in Racing and on the Road. You can adjust the throttle pedal laterally by spacing it out with washers if needed.

I also reckon in some circumstances you should change down a couple of gears at a time, and in others go through the box (when there's an audience go through the box, when in the middle of nowhere block change down!!) Again, do whats comfortable for you!

And finally, whats cheaper, gearbox rebuild or brake pads? Take your pick!

With a bike engined car you have to downchange through each of the 6 gears when braking to a standstill, this must also be done whilst still moving.

It can be a problem when doing an emergency stop or when you just plain forget! whereupon you hurriedly have to snick in 5 downchanges in the last couple of yards whilst counting down the numbers in your head!

Well, I've started trying with the north-south-side foot approach - easier than I was expecting. Had plenty of ops to practice on the 320mile route to Portmeirion at the w/e.

I can see why the race boots tend to have a reinforcement patch on the RH boot...

Initially I was worried about either slipping off the brake pedal, or catching too much accelerator - but it seems OK with my Replicat Pumas. On occassions where heavy/sudden braking has been required, I've wisely chosen not to try h'n't.

Only problem I'm having at the moment is the slightly hit and miss synchronisation of clutch and revs (OK, yep, the whole point, I know...). ATM, 50% or more of the changes result in the revs falling back before I release the clutch - leading to jerky changes.

It is satisfying when you get it right though.

REgds,

Myles