Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Draining Oil the easy way

Super_Rich_Bernie

I'm thinking of buying one of the pumps sold for marine engines to suck the oil out of my dry sump tank straight into a can. Avoid crawling around the floor, undoing hoses, messing about with the washing up bowl full of oil, spilling it down the drive etc etc.

I know these are criticised for use with wet sump cars and won't work with a foam baffle, but is there a downside with a dry sump tank?

Jonathan

I think Mick Smith was looking into this...

FWIW I just undo the hose that plugs into the filterhousing. I then pour a bit of fresh oil in to fluch out the gunk in the bottom of the tank.

I should really undo the hoses on the pump to clear that - but the volume is fairly small.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

I have one (boat engine oil pump) - but I find it takes too long to remove the oil. A mate lent me(permanently) a pump very similar in shape and size to my grease gun and this pumps the stuff out like nobody's business. I'm not sure what its proper use is or how old it is. I still split the dry sump tank and give it a damn good clean though. The boat oil pump is not particularly large and the plastic tubes restrict the amount of liquid it can suck *eek*

Philip. D. Owen

Membership No. 3976