Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Duratec / Zetec conversion costs

Nick Woods

I was having a bit of an idle moment and started wondering roughly how much it would cost to convert a Crossflow engined car to either a Zetec or a Duratec ?

To keep it simple, lets disregard the cost of buying the engines in the first place as well as any tuning / throttle bodies etc that may be required. Lets also assume the base car is a 5-speed De-Dion so we dont have to worry about gearboxes and the like.

Lets also disregard the need to reskin a Duratec because of the exhaust system being on the other side (assume we can live with the extra hole on the left hand side)

I'm thinking more of the costs around the upgrade such as engine mounts , bellhousings, exhausts, ancillaries etc.

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport

I dont believe in Fate, but I do believe in Sh*t, because Sh*t happens - here and here

Nick have you received my price breakdowns?

Richard in France

Duratec engine built, bright yellow chassis finished, kevlar/carbon panels fitted, now just waiting for last few parts 😬 *thumbup* 😬 😬.

I'm just about to embark on this!

I have the same car as you albeit with a busted XF *thumbdown*

I'm going for Duunell and YKC (in York) bits and all up it's looking like £1500 inc VAT plus engine (I got one for £310 delivered). Should give 160 bhp

Engine mounts £85 + VAT (Dunnell)

Carb/engine management kit/loom £550 + VAT (Dunnell using 40's off the XF)

Exhaust manifold £195 + VAT (YKC)

Alternator kit £105 + VAT (YKC)

Sump £120 + VAT

Clutch stuff and flywheel, water pump etc tops me up to the £1500

Bellhousing is no worries as the type 9 fits with metric bolts! I believe the starter motor fits too - I hope...

Dunnell are a very friendly source of advice too *thumbup* 😬 I believe Raceline have more fancier bits but are priced accordingly, I've found that by mixing and matching these 2 companies there are some pretty good savings to be had eg Dunnell exhuast manifold is £450, their alternator kit is £150 and sump is £220 all plus the dreaded.

Edited by - jaseb on 11 Jul 2003 19:58:00

Jase,

I would double check some of your information and prices. Not saying it is wrong but be very careful, I have spent 2 years resourcing and getting info.

Are you sure this will fit in the se7en?

Richard in France

Duratec engine built, bright yellow chassis finished, internal kevlar/carbon panels fitted, SVA booked for 19 Aug. 😬 *thumbup* 😬 😬.

Richard,

Jase B is talking Zetec I suspect which is why the numbers dont add up for you.

Nick.

The costs your looking for seem to have little meaning to me as stuff like the base engine/throttle bodies etc are an esential part of the install. I have very detailed breakdowns on this matter and can help to a fine degree of accuracy. Are you planning on doing the conversion? If this is for more than idle speculation I would be more than happy to spend time compiling something for you or chatting at the next meeting.

Steve

See My Zetec Power 7 Here

Steve

That would explain it.

But who would go Zetec when there is a Duratec *confused* *wink* *wink* *wink*

Richard in France

Duratec engine built, bright yellow chassis finished, internal kevlar/carbon panels fitted, SVA booked for 19 Aug. 😬 *thumbup* 😬 😬.

Richard - i did get your email but I've not had time to look at it yet (a very busy weekend) - thanks for the info *thumbup* (and sorry for the delay in replying )

Steve - for a variety of reasons I am thinking of selling my car and one of the possibilities is to buy a cheaper de-dion xflow and convert it. Its not a serious plan yet as I'm still trying to gather together enough info to help me decide what to do.

The reason for excluding the base engine and throttle bodies is because I know I need those and can find my own costs, but what I dont (didnt) have a feel for is what else is needed

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport

I dont believe in Fate, but I do believe in Sh*t, because Sh*t happens - here and here

Nick why consider throttle bodys when a pair of carbs that would be on the oridginal crossflow would save you a lot of money even if you only used them while you saved up for the injection equipment *confused*. As you know im doing the swap at the moment, So im likely to be able to help out on the things like engine mounts , exhaust system and water system (were making our own 😬) a 1.6 or 1.8 will run quite nicely on 40mil webbers and should give you about 160 plus bhp 😬. Also if you stick with the carbs you won,t have to plum a return line to the fuel tank which the crossflow car dosn,t have. less expense *thumbup*.

Plus if you go the zetec route you will be swopping a motor for a similar weight one there for the car will handle just as it was intended. A Duratec may well require a change of spring and rollbar to balance the suspension. once agian less expense ,

Edited by - Marc Hicks on 14 Jul 2003 12:48:17