Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

High pitched rattling noise

GrahamClarke

My R400 has developed a high pitched sort of "tinkling/rattling" noise. Sort of sounds like a piece of metal has worked loose and is vibrating.

This is noticeable from about 2500rpm upwards, whether the car is stationary in neutral or travelling down the road.

Car goes in for a service and to be flat floored next week and I've asked them to look, however I'm not sure how much effort they will expend trying to identify it.

Any suggestions as to what it may be and where to look? (I'm not particularly mechanically capable, so in simpleton terms would be good!)

Graham

Graham, I had a very similar noise several weeks ago, took ages to narrow it down but it turned out to be the twin horns touching. I must have nudged them whilst fitting an Apollo tank, have a look.

Phil S7SVN

I've got a similar transient rattle - sounds like a loose ali panel (I originally thought it was the silencer shield, but this is tight).

I now suspect the 'half undertray' ali pannel fitted under the nose - but I'll try the spark cover too.

Don't suppose it could be anything *in* the silencer could it (it sounds like coming from that direction - but this could be deceptive...

Regds,

Myles

Graham, from what you describe it sounds very similar to the rattle I get from the exhaust. I have tracked it down to the heat shield which when removed or when foot pressure is applied to the shield the rattle stops (only do the foot thing with the car stationary). No matter how tight the worm drive clips are done up makes no difference. I have resorted to several layers of glass tape wrapped around the silencer in the areas where the retaining clips are located and it does help a bit. I mentioned this prob to Caterham when the car was being serviced and their reply was ''re-new the clips''. Have not tried that one as yet, but ingnoring it does work.

Graham,

Still not tracked mine down yet - but the transient does seem to occur at about 2.5k. If I gently rev up in neutral to this zone and then let the revs fall back, the rattle is most prominent on the downside past 2.5k - although I can hear it on the rising curve too.

Haven't been able to find the exact resonant freq.

Regds,

Myles

Sorted!

Nick Woods - my rattle was indeed the throttle cable against the bonnet. I've made an initial fix by loosely tie-wrapping the cable to the diagonal chassis member just before it starts to curve up to the throttle pot. This lowered the top of the cable by 5mm or so and kept it (temporarily at least) from touching the bonnet.

Thanks and regds,

Myles