Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

zetec oil surge and ford axle power rating

groutledge

I'm thinking of buying a 2l zetec car with a ford english axle with a plate LSD. My last 7 ( sadly missed ) was a dry sumped Xflow. I have three questions

1. the engine has a raceline wet sump, will this be Ok with 32Rs / ACB10s ( 6/21/13 hard compound ) or is it worth going for an apollo tank or accusump. I'm not really worried about on the road more for track use. Perhaps some westy owners have experience with this.

2. the engine is putting out about 190bhp and probably in the region of 170lbft of torque. will an english axle be good for this or can I expect trouble. My last car had an Ital axle which gave me bearing gyp culminating in a broken half shaft. I went for a new ford axle with ATB diff which then started whining after it's first outing at Spa, that was the last straw so I sold it BIG MISTAKE, was this a one off in peoples experience. I'd like to think I'm a decent driver and so I am failry hard on the car.

3. Will the hanlding on track be roughly them same as a Xflow LA car as I loved my old cars handling. (I don't really want a DeDion car but may have to for strength etc. ). Is the zetec much heavier?

Any answers would be much appreciated

Graham

With the raceline sump just make sure the dipstick has been recalibratd. Basically you should have 5l of oil in the car. Mark the new level on the dipstick. Any less and you will experience oil surge even on normal tyres. Seems to be fine with the full 5 litres.

S2 8ELL

Birkin S3 2.0 Zetec 170bhp

Graham,

I am running a Zetec engined 7 with close to 200bhp using raceline sump. On 021R's no experienced any oilsurge problems after 10 trackdays and a dozen sprints, even on faster circuits like Oulton Park.

I have 5 speed Quaife Semi helical box

I have never driven a ford engined car in anger to cannot comment on handling but I beleive the Zetec is not much heavier.

I replaced my Ital axle with a ford axle with 3.9ratio annd LSD from Tranx.

The only problem I have had is/was leaking half shafts.

I bought a ford axle from a local Ford breakers, stripped it sent it to Arch for modifiaction and had the diff built up by tranX . My mistake was to have the half shaft bearings replaced at a 'local' garage. Instead of using a press they used tubing and a big hammer to to get the bearings off and on plus using cheap bearings (IMHO) meant that on trackdays oil would leak from the ends of the halfshafts. Subsequently replaced both with second hand halfshafts which came complete with bearings which I left in place. Since installing these no problems.

If you want to have a chat please email me offline.

Regards

Tony