Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Starter clearance issues (Voodoo curse?)

Colin R

Okay, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and I need some suggestions. I've been converting an XF seven to Zetec and things have gone fairly well (that is to say, I think I may be under an evil curse of some kind). In any case, engine is in, mounted to bellhousing, mounted to chassis, but the Raceline sump does not allow space enough to use the old XF starter. I shaved a little aluminum from the sump, but it looks as if much more will have to go before it fits properly. I know it's an expensive sump (something like a billion US) and I'm very hesitant to shave any more without knowing how much metal I've got to work with. Are there alternative starters with smaller diameters? A countercurse or animal sacrifice I can make to lift the curse?

Thanks.

Colin, give me till tomorrow evening and I can dig out the Halfrauds part number for the starter - £60 odd quid a couple of years ago.

It is smaller diameter than the normal xflow one. It is as ftted to some sierra variant.

What flywheel are you using - if it is based on a stock 1800, you will also need a spacer to bring the starter motor forwards a little, Purpose made steel flywheels do not require this spacer.

Ours is the 2 liter Zetec. We have a lightened flywheel supplied by Caterham USA in Denver, Colorado. Where they sourced it, I've no clue. Thanks for your help Allen. Just knowing an alternative exists lifts my spirits a great deal. *smile*