Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cosworth 1700 BDR Twincam 1987

anthonym

pics are now here

or if not there then (I keep changing between the two):

here

(p.s. car had just done 800 miles in one go from Switzerland to Calais when these pics were taken in Calais hotel car park- no chance to clean her. She was fine, I was exhausted)

http://homepage.mac.com/anthonymellorfca/Stables/PhotoAlbum10.html

Car will be in UK this weekend, probably .. definitely South of london. I have deleted the link for reason of caution.

this thread is at:

http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=34052&pn=1&ps=15&c=

New additions/replacements £5,000 by Caterham Agent

Car entirely stripped (by agent) and cleaned (by me) (eg tank out as well as engine/gearbox)

Water pump

Cam belt

Radiator

Electric fan

Stub axles

James whiting Alloy 4 pot callipers

Front disks

Pads

Linings (I was tempted to upgrade to disks, but never needed them)

Steering column

Steering quick rack

Momo quick release steering wheel

Dyno tuned to 169BHP (Standard)

FIA Roll bar

Petty strut

Shockers all round.

BGH Geartech "long first" five speed gearbox

Tyres £100 each x 5, done 1,000 miles or so. Basically new.

4 Point harnesses

Alternator (increased pulley size so high revs less likely to break it (again))

Clutch

Other features:

Twin 48 Dellortos that are properly "sorted" (took 15 years!)

Car has the earlier thicker space frame apparently.

Original Leather seats

Hood, doors

10 Gallon tank (very useful, does over 200 between fillups)

Leaded, so I add VSP lead and octane booster.

Dry sumped

Oil cooler

Heater

Hood bag

Oil catch tank

3.62 Diff (we think)

1700 Cosworth BDR Twincam

Steel pistons I think.

5 x Split rim 15" wheels (one set not two)

Spare wheel

Facts (been overseas)

Lives IN a Brian James Minno Shuttle trailer.

Never track used (except half an hour on Miras proving ground after rebuild when various bugs were ironed out by pro race driver/instructor)

No tax - correction it IS taxed to August 2003

No M.o.t. so maybe the MOT is still current.

Sounds Great!

I am 5'10" in height - it is a standard, not a long cockpit version

Bought her at 30k miles, immediate rebuild above.

Now 37k miles approx.

sorry for the delay

pics are now here

http://www.anthonymellor.com/BDR/BDR-Pics.html

also:

Dedion rear / crossflow front (I'm told)

(this does NOT mean it's two cars!!)

Lumenition electronic ignition.

Electric fuel pump - begins with an "F".. fitted in the boot, not under the wheel arch. If you test drive this car you must be AWARE that .. ask me, I do not want to publish this for security reasons.

Next upgrades would have been:

lighten the flywheel.

a £200 mod by arch to allow wide track and disk brakes... but does it really need these? I don't think so.

What does it NOT have?

Lightened flywheel

Rear disk brakes

Wide track

Watts linkage

Edited by - anthonym on 23 May 2004 04:23:01

Edited by - anthonym on 23 May 2004 04:28:30

Edited by - anthonym on 18 Nov 2004 12:35:07

Edited by - anthonym on 18 Nov 2004 12:35:38

Edited by - anthonym on 1 Dec 2004 21:09:33

I haven't seen the car however I spoke to Anthony not long after he bought it and it was undergoing its rebuild. From the conversation we had at that time it is obvious that money was not an object when rebuilding what was already a startlingly good car. I remember Anthony telling me how the previous owner was almost in tears as the car was driven away. Think he became too ill or old to drive it.

Anthony, I'd like to see pics just out of curiousity. Might help you sell it. Can you point a link to somewhere on the net where your car is best shown?

I haven't a clue about pricing, nor do I care but if you want the best traditional car you can buy, with a lot of the eccentricities ironed out (like the original crap gearbox ratios, in favour of a BGH "special") then you ought to look at this. *thumbup*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

oh yes you have seen it, it was spread about all over the premises where your car was post-build checked - remember the headlight problem? My car was all around yours at the time! :-)

I guess this doesn't really count as she wasn't in one piece, rather a very large number.

I'll find those pics and stick them up somewhere (having practiced on the St Wotsit ones)

I'll post a url here. Thanks for your reference by the way.

to change, not to change... she is soooooo beautiful....and quick... hmmmmmm

I'm afraid you may have confused me with someone else Anthony. Mine was Post Build Checked in early 2000, at Caterham in Dartford. You called me after you bought it last year and we talked for an hour or so If I remember right...

Pretty sure I've not seen it.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

indeed I have

doesn't detract from my thanks though.

and I am looking for my pics, but after an hour I can't find them.. most disturbing. I will have to have a think . Change of computers is the culprit. A.

Edited by - anthonym on 10 Jul 2003 21:09:00

price reduced from 17995 to 16,995 (yes 1,000 quid off)

If you want it call me on +41 27 967 4056 now!

I love her to bits, but there's a new kid on the block and only room in the stable for one :(

I guess you could also call John Noble of John Noble Motorsport in Chesterfield who rebuilt the car and knows it inside out - it even has new stub axles.

Anthony

Edited by - anthonym on 30 Dec 2003 10:13:22

Hi Anthony,

That's more like the price!

Why don't you see if you can get it registered in Switzerland? It would be worth a lot more in that market.

Good luck selling, hope you got home from Italy OK.

Regards

Mike

(Cobra)

good question. I'm thinking of swopping her over when the new kid is delivered; where to plonk her in England is a bit of a question... I want new kid very soonish so... anyone got stable space? :-)

and Mike, yes indeed, the original price was of course just a holding pattern while sorting myself out.

never went to France from Italy in the end, it was too hot for me; had whale of time on Simplon pass

gbw911 send me an email address and I can send you some very recent pics

Anthony

also:

Dedion rear / crossflow front (I'm told)

(this does NOT mean it's two cars!!)

Lumenition electronic ignition.

Electric fuel pump - begins with an "F".. fitted in the boot, not under the wheel arch. If you test drive this car you must be AWARE that .. ask me, I do not want to publish this for security reasons.

Next upgrades would have been:

lighten the flywheel.

a £200 mod by arch to allow wide track and disk brakes... but does it really need these? I don't think so.

What does it NOT have?

Lightened flywheel

Rear disk brakes

Wide track

Watts linkage

Someone (not far from here) has researched it a bit and my edited highlights are:

Briefly the chassis number indicates:

K - a Kit built car though it must have had no more than 2 major items that were not brand new when it was built as it did not attract a 'Q' registration. Actually it had no "not brand new items" according to the builder, all new from end to end.

L - Long cockpit.

D - De dion rear end.

R - RHD.

I know someone who was working in Caterham's Sales Department at the time your car was originally purchased and he remembers Mr Mansell very well and recalls he had a BD engined car. As far as he can remember it was sold as a standard Supersprint Kit and Mr Mansell sourced his own engine (yes from Cosworth direct) (and perhaps gearbox) (I have replaced it with a BGH Geartech long first unit at rebuild) ) and fitted them to the kit. There is no doubt that this was done very well by a well known and respected Caterham enthusiast (he went to all the club meetings apparently). (He was an aircraft engineer as I recall, though a journalist by day I think).

Edited by - anthonym on 16 Jul 2003 16:51:46

Edited by - anthonym on 1 Dec 2004 21:27:42

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

car is now in England near London. pics available, engine etc etc see msg one for the url.

ast call, low flying adverts etc about ready now.

any takers?

She needs a new home, replaced by R500 which is something else! :-)))

Anthony

Edited by - anthonym on 11 Aug 2003 17:03:42

• 9 months later...
  • Area Representative

Anthony,

What about "chatting" to this guy in Canada. I have had a couple of emails from him and pointed him towards Blatchat. His wanted thread is here

Maybe it could be a good deal between you if the car is suitable for importing over there.

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...