Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Nasty grindy noise from diff/brakes

allegro

Couple of weeks back I had the Diff out of my SLR for new oil seals. Since then and immediately after - so something we've done during the op- I am getting a nasty grinding/vibration / sometimes audible from the back end. It's hard to say where exactly cause the vibration is transfered all over the back end. If I go for a 40mile run it goes away !!! Then when parked for a while it will come back *mad*

If I rock the car back and forwards, you can somtimes find the point and it feels like a gripping vibration. And the vibration is exaggerated on the passenger drive shaft.

Could it be hand brake related, Drive shaft seal or drive shaft bearings. This is new since the diff out.

Any help gratefully received.

Rear pads are good and are located correctly in the pistons.

Also I have lots of the correct oil in the diff.

Andy Mac C7 GON

😬 Team Langoustine. Hard Core Prawn here 😬

Andy, if the ARB is touching you can either grind away a small part of the diff casing or bend the bar to achieve a clearance.

I changed a diff half shaft seal a few months back but did this with the diff insitu. If the outboard UJ joint is catching you will see obvious signs of scoring . Loosen the four hub flange bolts to the ear and you should be able to slightly move the shaft enough to stop it catching if indeed this is the problem.

I assume that you re-fitted the diff with the original washer spacers etc and correctly re-torqued everything. Good luck Andy hope you sort it out.

Phil S7SVN