Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Boot cover - help!

andy couchman

Am just about to fit a new boot cover to a long cockpit live axle classic chassis which has an FIA rollover bar (the sloping forward type).

The boot cover has a steel strip in it. Do I need to remove this (think I do) and does it have the full harness bolts on top (think it does) and the end of the rollover bar on top too. That looks roughly right but would hate to make a mess of the shiny new cover on the shine new rebuilt chassis.

Yours confusedly.

Andy Couchman

As mav says - measure twice, drill once. I would add that you should drill undersize and then use a circular file to get it 'just right'.

Method #1 was to put masking tape underneath the boot cover, press down on the harness points to get the correct location and then drill and fit ONE bolt. Then remeasure each of the remaining bolts in turn. For general location, it helps if the poppers are already in place so that you can ensure that the strip is central on the bulkhead. However, if the poppers are not in place, treble check everything is level before you make the first hole in either the strip of the bootlid sides.

My last boot lid came with no poppers in place and it took several dry runs before I hade the first hole to ensure that the lid was central on the bulkhead and that there was enough material hanging over the dges to fix the poppers to.

If you have a spare wheel, do not bother with the two poppers on the 'flap' - the velcro holds that in place well enough - otherwise you'll be removing the spare wheel every five minutes.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

• 2 months later...

Did people use the existing six holes in the chassis bar that the harnesses bolt into for popper locations? Two of these (one each side) are very close to the harness bolts but it looks as if there is enough clearance.

(The reason I ask is the assembly guide says - remove metal strip in boot cover leading edge and discard. Bolt the harnesses through the boot cover. Use the two predrilled holes 1.25" either side of the centre as popper locations. Don't use the other predilled holes (one between the harness mountings and one just outside the outer one) - drill two new holes in the centre of the harness mountings and use those. All seems a bit unecessary to me - but then I may be missing something 😬)

Charles

---

My Caterham Academy 2004 Diary

Andy - I think some of us are confused as to whether you want to remove the aluminium strip for all time or just in order to drill it (as Graham did)... I'm with Hoopy - why? However, I'd carefully cut the harness-bolt holes neatly through the vinyl first with a scalpel (or a cutting compass - handy studio item!) so there's no risk of it snagging on the drill and chewing it up.

(Loved your article, BTW.)

Edited by - tony pashley on 17 Sep 2003 18:46:37

I've just had another look at mine and the metal strip seems no more than 1mm wider than the metal 'hats' which you use when mounting the harnesses. To drill holes for these in the metal strip would almost definitely end up breaking it into more than one part. So in this case, I may follow the manual and remove it.

I'm still not sure why it suggests drilling new holes for the poppers when the pre-drilled ones seem fine.

Charles

---

My Caterham Academy 2004 Diary

Thanks Tony!

When I initially built the car (88/89) I removed the ali (not steel as I put in the first post) strip and ran it without. It worked OK but air could get in between the poppers so I used velcro strips to keep everything roughly in place. Not perfect... I also used poppers on the frame as well as the cover so had a boot that opened from the front as well as from the back.

On the recent rebuild (thanks for all the advice guys - v.helpful) I removed the strip, drilled it and then re-fitted it and sewed up the plastic again. What made me nervous was that the strip is only just wider than the bolt so careful drilling was required.

All seems to look OK now and as the rebuild has no spare wheel I have reverted to 'proper' opening from the back only. The only downside is that you can't remove the boot cover when running a hood (yes, the car now has a hood - we must both be getting old!)

Andy

Q831FDD