Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Supersprint De-Coke

AndreK

Last weekend carried out a de-coke on my 1990 (1690cc) Supersprint, which had very low mileage before I recently obtained it.

Head gasket was easy enough, apart from getting the remnants of the old gasket completely off, suspect that Caterham had used some sort of sealant when it was originally put on? Obtained valve stem seals from Redline, along with a gasket set. I believe that these are from a Metro?! (rubber cups with very fine spring around the top seal). I just pushed these on, with oil, but wondered afterwards whether I should have made a fine ?sellotape? sleeve to help them slide over the collet grooves?

The idea was to have the interim 'head-job' prior to an unleaded conversion, possibly with forged pistons, in the winter. Anyway the car runs much better now after the valves were carefully ground-in, and the oil consumption is also clearly improved. Thanks to Roger King I also have some very good copper faced exhaust gaskets, which I would strongly recommend!!! Roger would apparently also fit Cosworth type valve stem seals (which require machining of valve guides) As standard the Kent head has no separate valve guides, these are machined straight in the head *confused*