Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil level

Tony C

Just to add to our store of collective knowledge - following the recent discussions concerning the advice to check with engine hot and running which was explained by Len - thanks Len.

I did an oil change on Saturday and re-filled with 4 litres as a starting quantity. Started the engine to leak check and adjust the quantity. I've noticed in the past that it's difficult to get any sort of meaningful indication of overfilling, so wanted to start off low and work up.

When the water temp reached 80 I dipped and found the oil level at half full, but was aware that it takes longer for the oil to get to temperature than the water. Kept dipping at intervals and after the radiator fan had cycled a few times noticed that the oil level had progressively risen to full on the dipstick.

SO, hot and running really does mean HOT and running - oil that is - black gold, Texas 'T' 😬

BRG SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)