Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pre-Build questions...

Frying Pan

Morning all!

Now got pretty much everything except the car, but a couple of questions remain...

Bearing Grease - Any suggestions as to the best product?

Silicon Sealant for engine/bellhousing/gearbox - Same question! I've heard that Loctite 5900 is the dogs danglies, but have not yet fould a supplier. What are the alternatives? Hylomar Blue / Hermetite?

Wish the build manual gave recommended products for all this stuff - maybe something for the next version...

Cheers

7HeavenSoon

I just used Castrol LM grease for general use,the bearings were already filled.

Any RTV silicone should do (I got a tube of Unipart GAC8000 but this is white so may not be suitable for sealing bodywork) Wickes clear sealant seems to be quite good but it takes a long time for thick applications to set.

For more critical applications like bearing and cam ladders then use a recommended product (such as Unipart GGC108)

Halford sells clear or black silicone.

Loctite 243 is ideal for our type of threadlocking, I assume that's what you need it for. I called using the phone number on their (UK) website and they gave me the local stockists - as it's not available in every car parts store. 10ml is all you need.

BRG SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

7heavensoon,

Can't vouch for any of the other silicone products, but Loctite 5900 was recommended to me by the Loctite technical dept and its superb stuff (it did the job holding the dry sump bottom plate on, which worried me somewhat *eek*).

All Loctite stuff, silicone and the 'pukka' threadlock can be sourced through BSL (distributors here)- not cheap (IIRC about £20 for a tube of 5900 *eek*, you'll need about a third of this!).

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here

Edited by - darren f on 6 Jul 2003 23:29:12