Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cooked tyres

aclucas

I went on two track days in a row recently - anglesey followed by llandow with BaT. Fantastic fun and fantastic weather (hot) meant a lot of sliding and hence the outside of my tyres don't look good at all.

On the way back I got a screw in one of them and hence it has a slow puncture so I'm back on the "destroy me" michelin pilot wheels for now. My question (finally) is whether I should buy 4 new tyres or just 2. There is still a lot of tread left on these and they seem to stick to the road better than the pilots still (when my right foot behaves). Will they recover with enough road miles or are they "broken" or dangerous. They really look rough on the outside - as if someone had taken a blowtorch to them and I don't know if I've done long term damage or something I will regret later if I reuse them.

Even when they had gone off they were beautifully progressive and a lovely set of tyres - just not for hot dry bendy tracks with 2 enthusiastic drivers - my girlfriend gained the enthusiasm and skill to outpace porsches on the second day *smile* so I'm very proud.

Alan

N7CTR 1.8VVC

What are the track-day tyres you've got???

I'm only a recent 7'r (6 weeks, 1500 miles), but my guess (from what I've heard) is that mixing tyres (i.e. pilots and CR500s/032s etc.) is going to be a big no-no.

Buy 2 new - slap'em on whichever end you're happiest with (front if you drive in the wet, rear otherwise - you sound like you'll balance them up pretty soon anyway). Keep the 5th tyre (i.e. the worn unpunctured one) as an emergency spare.

Regds,

Myles

Oops, sorry forgot to mention they are 185/70 AO21rs. I'll need to get a new 13" wheel to stick it on as a spare, but they're not too expensive. My "other" set are 14" 60 profile. Sounds like the way to go - thanks.

N7CTR 1.8VVC

batteredoldsupersport,

I've been thinking of swapping my Pilots, you calling them ditchmagnets *eek* has tipped the balance.

Thanks from head and my heart. No thanks from my wallet

Tony

M1 7 SMW 1.4SS Lotus colours with cycle wings. Back on the road *smile*

Tony, don't take me too seriously re Michelin Ditchmasters, I am only passing a joky comment based on the consensus of the forum that these and Eagles don't work on a light car like a 7. I have never had them so don't take it as gospel. OTOH 021Rs are universally loved around here, I had 032Rs, fabulous except you could watch the tread going down as you drove along a straight road, and now have Bridgestone RE720s, less grippy but seem to last well, reasonably predictable, not that I drive everywhere at full noise.