Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Starter cooked before Le Sept HELP

Tony Martyr

Damn!

Final checks this morning and planned trip to Halfords for oil etc and the starter is totally dead.

No soleniod click, no nothing.

5 minutes of fiddling around with the cables and suddenly it works.

Halford's carpark it is dead again - finally get it going but this is NOT safe to take on Le Sept .

Inspection shows that, in spite of heat protection cover the cable insulation is a bit enbrittled - it is all 6 years and 25000 miles old.

I am away from home, at the Ford WRC site, until the morning of departure so have had to throw myself on the mercy of Millwood Motors on Monday morning.

To be safe (imagine no starter on the tunnel train etc *confused*) should I get the whole starter/soleniod cable replaced or is there a relay that could be also moribund?

Sorry to hear of your problem Tony but I'm sure Millwood will get you up & running. See you in Dijon.

Mick

PS: It is possible to push start a Se7en on the tunnell & indeed over most of France, however you do need some willing helpers!!

See you on Le Sept, Tony. I have pushed, and been pushed, all over France myself. Not too much of a problem unless you're on your own (but Dan's pretty strong!). You don't have quite the dramatic problem that Geoff Tate has with his starter on the new 1800 BDR - correct starter; wrong starter ring! Discovered when he was attempting to start the beast, installed, oiled an' all! Sure you'll be fixed - look forward to meeting.

Don and Rosebud.

If all else fails you can usually connect a jumplead between battery and solenoid +ve feed to start the thing. This has got me out of trouble a few times, though I've never needed it on the 7. It bypasses most simple immobilisers, worryingly, unless the installer has been clever enough to use other than the starter circuit.