Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fan switch, top or bottom of radiator?

John Gaines

Are you sure 🤔 I felt a bit of a twit when I presented my Roadsport at post build inspection with the radiator upside down 🙆🏻 The air bleed is horizontal on the top of the radiator. The drain plug is vertical on the rear of the radiator at the bottom - I thought the drain plug should face downwards to drain *wink* that leaves you with only one choice, the fan switch at the top of the radiator on the rear vertical face 😬 Oh - and with the drain plug incorrectly pointing downwards it fouls with the nose cone which was a losey fit anyway.

Dave

Saw a 7 *cool*

Hitched a ride in a 7 *eek*

Ordering a 7 *wink* - Done that now

Will Own a 7 😬 - First Week of 2003 - Got Her Now 😬 😬

Up to the elbows in cardboard and bits 😳 passed Post Build now - SVA in 2 weeks SVA was a breeze (except the driver side door hinges *mad*)

2 weeks and 4 visits to DVLA just to get the registration *mad* On the Road At Last 😬 😬

Membership Number 6640

Definitely at the top of the radiator to read the engine temperature at its hottest and switch on at the pre-set (88 deg I think) temperature.

If you mount it at the bottom of the radiator, it won't switch on until the engine is way, way too hot due to the temperature drop across the rad. core.

Brent

Spot on Brent, but I think the standard (VW Polo part) switch operates at 92 - 95 deg. Considering the unreliability, in a Caterham installation, of this part make sure you have a manual switch for when it doesn't work. Or better still get the fan switched from the ECU.

Mick

Everybody is right, but for all the wrong reasons.

The fan only switches on when the return temp from the rad has risen. If you switched the fan on the basis of the exit temp it would switch on at much the same time, however the fan's effect on the exit temperature would make sure it switched off far too soon. The switch has some built-in hysteresis but this would not be enough to keep the fan on long enough to cure a bulk temperature increase. Rigged as John suggested the fan would cycle on and off more rapidly.