Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AGE OLD QUESTION?

kim

I built a 1600 Xflow SE Classic 4 years ago. I am still running on the originally supplied Michelin MTX 185/70/R13 on prisoner alloys (even after 15000miles and two/three track days a year!!). Is there any handling advantages to be gained in reducing the tyre profile to 60/65 and increasing the alloy size to 14" thus maintaining the overall wheel dimensions (speedo calibration etc). If so what tyres and what alloys at reasonable cost. Change in offset etc. I'm a bit of a novice in this area so any advice would be warmly welcomed. I know there is a fair amount of chat on this forum in this area but sadly most of it is lost on me!!Can anyone help?

Thanks

Kim

PS Any helpful (value for money) hints on improving the car's performance would also be warmly welcomed.

Kim,

I've started using 185/70 13's - Yokohama A021 (£40 each fitted & balanced from George Polley) and they will provide a lot more grip than the Michelins you are running on now.

I think you will find the greatest difference in changing tyre type rather than wheel/tyre combination.

Dave H

Spark plugs make a big difference to the performance if they're knackered, otherwise just stick with what is recommended for the engine. Fancy multi-electrode spark plugs have fancy claims and fancy price tags but that's about all (OK they potentially have a longer life too, but does anyone mind changing their spark plugs once a year?).

Mike

I'm a little confused here Kim. Prisoner alloys are 15 inch wheels. I'm sure you're wheels must be 13" if you have 70/R13 tyres on them. If this is the case, there is a significant benefit to be had from changing to 021's in 70 profile as Dave suggests. Having said that, there is even more benefit if you change to 60 profile 021's, and possibly more benefit if you change to a set of R500 Avons, and then even more benefit if you change to ACB10's !!

I think for the power output of your car, I would be tempted by a set of Yoko 021's in 60 profile. If you want a long life out of your tyres (>6000 miles) then maybe a set of RE720 Bridgestones in 60 profile. If ground clearance is an issue (or top gear cruising) then stick with 70 profile.

Just my opinion though...

Alex

Alex

thanks for your advice. I made up the prisoner wheels bit as i thought all Classics came with such wheels. they are 13" so I will try Dave's advice first Yoko 021 on 13" and see what happens.

Kim

I asked the same sort of question. At present I have 13 * 5.5 Minilites on 70 profile tyres. I am going to upgrade to 14*6 with 60 profile, so I retain the same overall size, for speedo etc. Main purpose is to fill the arch's out a bit, 5.5's look a bit thin!!

RM.

RM

Thanks for your email. can you let me know how you get on. I'm going to take the cheaper option first of trying the Toko A021 185/70/13 first at (£40ish a go) as new alloys will add £300+.My only worry with changing alloy size is wether or not this will require an offset angle change - I have no idea?

thanks anyway

Kim

RM

Thanks for your email. can you let me know how you get on. I'm going to take the cheaper option first of trying the Toko A021 185/70/13 first at (£40ish a go) as new alloys will add £300+.My only worry with changing alloy size is wether or not this will require an offset angle change - I have no idea?

thanks anyway

Kim