Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What size ears?

Martin Plant

Dumb question, which I'm sure has been answered a dozen times in the archives......

My rear ACB10s have worn very unevenly (worn out on the insides) which leads me to suspect that the camber is wrong despite previous owner using slicks on it exclusively.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer a couple of questions for me:

What size de dion ears should I have for ACB10s on 8.5" rims

How do I tell what size it currently has installed?

Thanks in advance

Martin

www.caterhamblackbird.com

The newer ones have the camber stamped on top. On older ones it's stamped where hidden when bolted up.

You can get 1.5, 1.0, 0.5, 0.25 too.

0.25 is the thing for ACB's.

Speedy Steve's Workshop, Race reports, work done here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Interesting I had not realised there was any variation err 15 years on think mine are 0.75 🤔

1.5 well that would restrict the end from going out...... no fun, with my A032 its seems hard to get the back going ..... in the dry. So why 1.5 🤔

Have to say my car is set rather neutral.

So where is "On older ones it's stamped where hidden when bolted up"

Prince Charles 😬

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Even the 0.25 degree ears still seem to give too much camber, so that the tyres still wear on the inside. I (& several others) have had the ears machined parallel (0 degree) to correct this. I've since made some tapered plates to give +0.5 degress camber and this now gives even wear. Due to their construction, crossply tyres such as ACB10s take on negative camber when placed under cornering load and therefore need far less static camber.

Wear and ultimate speed are not necessarily the same thing. Depends what you are after.

The live axle racers all have to have 0 or thereabouts camber, they seem to get on fine too.

With about 0.25 degrees I do get reaonably consistant temps over the tyre surface. A little more (and it is only a little more) wear on the inside is not too much of a worry as the grip and handling are consistant.

Speedy Steve's Workshop, Race reports, work done here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 6 Jul 2003 11:03:41