Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine porting

GrahamClarke

Confused here... you say you're not keen on modifying the engine and then ask about probably the most dramatic modification you can do.

There's only one head and unless you remap the ECU you'll notice little, if any, difference if you port it. If you want to know the best modifications you can make, check out DVAPower

The best thing you used to be able to do to an SLR was his "driveability kit" but this included a new ECU. Your R400 doesn't have a compatible loom for the replacement ECU and your current ECU doesn't come with the cable or software to remap it. In addition, Caterham have "locked" the ECU.

If you were interested in the new ECU you could get a compatible loom from a scrap Rover. Best advice from Dave Andrews himself.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

No. The stock VHPD head flows well enough for the cams that you are currently using. You would only see any noticable gains if you were to fit hotter cams and a reprogrammable ECU. Unless you are seeking more than 220 bhp I would not bother porting the head, especially if its still under warrenty.

If I were in your situation , I would fit some 1227 cams , verniers and either get the MBE remapped or fit another ecu such as emerald .

OR

Simply drive the nuts off it and consider suspension upgrade instead - I reckon you would get more benifit /£££ .

Dave

Surely verniers and emerald for a first step. very little work to fit (get it done whilst at emerald - if you DIY he'll still want to check the timing), bags more drivability and possibly a little more power.

and its all stuff you can easily sell or reuse for further upgrades.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R