Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which Yoko's ???

Slider7

At the moment my 1995 1.4 K (soon SS 😬) is running on 195/50 15 Yoko's A510.

After numerous postings on how 'sticky' tyres really change the handling of the car ... I finally am about to try them out.

I just wondered what tyre would suit me best : the 21r, 32r, or 48r ? *confused*?

I mainly use my car on the road with on occasional trackday in between ... and do want a reasonable lifetime !!! Is this utopia ???

What would be the advantage of going for 14" wheels instead of my current 15" (don't want 13" wheels ... *arrowdown*ground clearance) ???

Slider@7 *cool*

Hi Slider@7,

In your case I would go for the 21R's ... if you want to you can hop in at my place after your trip to Greenland and try them out. I got a set of wheels with 032R's and ACB10's as well so you can compared as much as you like ....

CU soon in Belgium, enjoy the holiday!!

get 185/70R13 yoko A021Rs.

they're the cheapest of the options above, last the longest, best in the wet, good in the dry, handle well (as they are 13") and still have ground clearance as they are 70 profile.

the amount you save by getting these over the others can go on an adjustable platform kit so you can set the ride height to work with 60 profiles in a year or so.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

I have 21R's. I drive like an old lady going to church (although my wife still squeals "I don't like it when you do that!" when I corner) 😬. After 6,500 miles there are no particular signs of wear so I am expecting to get at least 30,000 out of them. *thumbup*

Who's looking at the Ferrari? Nobody, that's who!

Agree with all thats gone before, A021R's are a good tyre for road use.

I havn't tried the other Yoko's so cannot compare but set against the Avon's that came on my car these inspire much better cornering and I'm led to believe will handle well in the wet (if I ever take it out when its raining !!!).

Certainly a sound & cheap upgrade *wink*

I'm on 32s at the moment - even in the driving rain we've had recently. They're not that bad in the wet. You've obviously got to be careful but I find it's only really heavy rain or standing water that's forces me to slow a lot - when the rain is that heavy though its usually too much for the wipers to cope with and you'd have to slow anyway for visibility reasons.

Thanks for all the advice ... I think I'll go for the 021r's.

Looking at the available sizes I realised they don't have 15's so I'll probably go for the 185/60 14 ... which implicates I need some new wheels 😬 !!!

I like the minilite-style, but don't know which is 'best' : compomotive - KN - Minilite - Superlite.

I personally like the Superlite's since you can choose from different colors ... like black or charcoal.

Stijn ... I'll certainly drop by after my 'little trip' to the icecap. Thanks for the offer *thumbup*.

Slider@7 *cool*

Hi Slider@7

I'm about to change to 13" wheels to rationalise for road & track. That means I will have 5 x 14" Caterham supplied minilite wheels (1994) presently shod with used 32R's. If interested send me an email.

Mick

Have a look at this site - http://www.mycaterham.com/15494/42806.html

Very informative.

As far as cost goes this was a recent quote from GP

185/60x14 A048 = £58.64 + VAT each

185/60x14 A032R = £55.37 + VAT each

185/60x14 A021R = £54.85 + VAT each

Now I never asked for 185/70 but as you can see, little in it between 21s and 32s

I'm back *biggrin*

I run with 185/60/14s on my 1.4SS. Absolutely great tyre all round (and pretty progressive when the adhesion limit has been reached). They were definitely the best upgrade I've done on my car (used to have Michelin Pilots). Will probably try A032s next time just to compare.

Don't believe the stories about 12k miles (unless you drive very slowlyl round corners). I think I get about 7k per annum out of mine and that's with 1-2 track days a year.

One car - 1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

Edited by - robf on 7 Jul 2003 20:40:35

Hi

I use A539 in 15" for the road (great)

and 032 in 13" for the track (great)

A539 is a good choice for touring

021 is very good on track and road, 032 better on dry but not on wet

Depend on your annual mileage and your wallet as they worn 10 times quicker as A539