Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Car or Upgrade Old

WRogers

At the risk of asking a boring question, .. but: I am currently trying to decide whether to A) Upgrade my 1700 Supersprint XFlow, Standard Suspension, Flares etc .. by adding sports suspension, 3D mapping. or B) Change the lump, put in a Zetec etc. (James Whiting) and the suspension or C) Buy an 1800 Supersport K series with suspension etc or D) Buy a Superlight.

I know there is a money difference, upfront and long term with resale values etc. But what is my best option if my requirements are the following:-

More power, more reliability, better handling and wide track. The last is not the end of the world!

I know ... I don't want much, and I do realise that options will differ, but options are what is after.

Thanks in advance

Wayne Rogers

Hampshire

Wayne... Just been through a similar period of frustration... underpowered, poor brakes, questionable suspension set up on track.... I'd second Mike's view... I could have spent the £ on an upgrade, but have opted for a Superlight albeit with a windscreen (for now!)... After selling the old car (1.4SS), the cash difference is not as great as people think and I get a new engine!

Go for a Superlight.

Got to agree there - I had a 1.6K SS for 2 years and wanted to upgrade to do more track work.

Got a base 1.8K (non-SS) and was amazed at the difference :-)))

I opted for some decent seats, tho' (the R500 ones) - but I think they do the R500 stylie composite ones (high back) as standard now.

Good luck,

Simon

I had a basic 1.6k series and wanted to do some upgrades, I reckoned by the time I had added new tyres, then new wheels, then adjustable suspension, then rear anti roll bar, then lsd, then more power etc etc, it was all getting quite expensive. I part exed it for a cancelled order Superlight for less money than the upgrades would have cost. In return I get everything I want, arguably the purest seven (admittedly with a windscreen) and a new registration number. Having done a trackday with the new car, it is fantastic, even though the old one was great. My advice is DO IT! get a superlight, don't worry about fancy colours and you should probably learn to live without a windscreen.

Si

Superlight, without question.

I have driven a VX and an 1800 Road Sport and neither handled as well or slowed down as well. But looked at buying my 7 I was considering getting the Superlight R or the R500. But then if you look at it realistically, the R and R500 are going to cost the thick end of 30k. You can save that money, get a superlight and get the engine tuned and it will be just as fast as a Superlight R on the road... which at the end of the day is where you will do the most mileage.

And it will "apparently" handle better.

Simon.

PS - get a screen for winter and get an aero screen kit for the summer/track.

X777CAT

I'm looking at the options on mine at the moment - and it all comes down to money in the end. Whats yours worth? how much to make it what you want it to be? Is that more or less than the total cost of finding and buying what you want?

Good luck,

Dave H

That's a bit of a difficult one. I guess it depends on how much you will get for your old car and the cost of the new one. For me the difference in price between my old 91 superprint (even with the Zetec fitted) and a new SLR would have been too much say 10K + . I spent around 3K on my car (new wheels,tyres,dampers,springs,LSD,front whishbones,rack,Anti roll bar,dumped the screen etc). Now I know it may not be a match for a SLR on the bends but the car still feels like new and drives so much better. I'm very happy with the car now but if money was not a problem I guess I would have bought the SLR ?

Well, I did ask.

Thanks to every-one who replied ... I am going to print the topic and read at home, while checking the bank balance. If it goes red, read the "DO IT get a superlight" quote again.

I'm thinking of dropping in at Caterham on Saturday, I'm not going to take the 1700, or I'll end up leaving there and bring something else home (windscreenless?) ...

I must spend more time looking this time, but I think you have helped, I nearly said push, me down the superlight route.

Thanks Again.

P.S.

My wife said just sell it and spend the money on a holiday ( she was joking I think ) .. but what I said ... NO CATERHAM ... NO LOTUS SEVEN CLUB ... You Can Not be ... You know the rest .....

Wayne Rogers

Hampshire

Don’t ignore the upgrade route. Ok it may cost more in the long run, but you can spread this out as funds allow. You know your 1700 Super Sprint is a good starting point.

I bought mine new in 1989 and with advice from independent 7 experts I have progressively upgraded it, doing the majority of the work myself. I have a 190 bhp Zetec; AP 4 Pot front brakes; Latest wide track front end (second front suspension upgrade); Leda adjustables all round; adjustable rear anti roll bar and I have just fitted one of Steve Perks’ close ratio semi-helical boxes and I can’t wait for spring.

The satisfaction of doing this oneself is tremendous. So it may not be a Superlight R, but it wouldn’t be far behind. It goes like stink, handles fabulously and there’s plenty more to come. And why give a large chunk of your hard earned wedge to Caterham every time you covet the next man’s Superlight R?

I guess it all comes down to money again.