Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VDO guages

fordy

the bezels on my '95 VDO guages have gone a bit rusty and I would like to refurb/respray in preference to replacing.

Has anyone succeeding in parting the bezels from the guage? Seemed pretty stuck fast last night and I didn't want to screwdriver it open if theres a technique....

Anyone tried this before?

Also I was wondering about the interchangeabilty of the VDO senders with other makes of clocks (like Caterham/Caerbont or Smiths etc...). Are senders just generic and its a case of getting the right threads?

Caerbont Instruments (Telemetrix) are directly compatible with VDO pressure and temperature senders.

n.b. this only applies when the sender and gauge have both have the same full scale deflection value. e.g. a 0-120°(hope that comes out as a degress symbol) Telemetrix gauge will work as a straight swap for a VDO 0-120° gauge, but not for a 0-150° gauge.

Hope that makes sense.

....and Caterham told me if I change to the new gauges, i'll need new senders..

....and so I let I nice s/h set of new gauges go.

So I'm stuck for the moment with refurbing.

Anyone any ideas?

Noticed the VDO's in Merlin - cheap enough.

I managed to prize off the bezels with a screwdriver last night, rubbed them down and are now freshly painted with Hammerite Satin Black - Nice. Hopefully they'll go back together ok !!!

Also notived the in Merlin the Telemetrix range are badged Caerbont, while in Demon Tweeks, the same guages seem to be badged on the dials as Smiths.

I guess Caerbont own Smiths, or at least make the Telemetrix guages for them too.

The following is a quote from the Gower Oaks web site (hope they won't mind):

"Smiths withdrew from instrument making in 1983, when they sold out to Lucas, but they did not sell the right to use the Smiths brand.

Lucas, in turn, sold the business to VDO in 1990, and in 1993 it seemed that all was lost, when VDO decided to close the plant in South Wales, where the ex Smiths products were then manufactured.

At the 11th hour, the instruments were saved from extinction when the plant's management put together a rescue bid, and formed a new company, Caerbont Automotive Instruments (CAI).

One of the first actions taken by the new owners, was to approach Smiths, and seek permission for the right to use the Smiths brand, where the product had been an original Smiths design. Smiths were extremely supportive, and a deal was struck."

Hence Telemetrix gauges, made by CAI, are printed with the word "Smiths" on the dial face.

The above also explains why Telemetrix and VDO gauges adhere to a common resistance per unit temperature/pressure standard.

For further info: http://www.gower-oaks.co.uk/about.htm which also explains the link to Gower Oaks and Speedy Cables..........

Be carefull with new/old VDU gauges.

The old ones have a square edge to the bezel, whilst the newer ones have the edge removed. Difficult to explain, but you'll see what I mean.

Found this out when I got a replacement Rev Counter, with the newer bezel, and the original was an old one. No idea when they changes the year.

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)