Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side repeaters on cycle wings

Matt Shears

Pretty sure it depends on the age of the car and the construction/use regs applicable but I think the don't/do cutoff was probably c1982 (ish). (I stand to be corrected on that).

Later cars it's a requirement but they can go on the body side, headlight etc if you'd rather.

Once it's SVA'd you are likely to have mot time problems unless your is blind/amenable.

I think the search facility is offline - my MOT tester showed me the regs. repeaters not necessary if the front indicators are of a wrap around type - my tester feels the bullet type on the 7 are this type! Also, the flashing needs to be visible when observed from a position 1m out from the side of the car in line with the rear axle. No problem with cycle wings - not sure for flares though... Finally they have to be "E" marked - mine are original Caterham and have an E mark but I'm not sure if there are different E marks and which ones are acceptable..

As I understand it You have to have the repeaters on the car for the MOT. That said I do not like the look so I did not attach mine. Come the MOT I attached them to the side of the car using some tape with the wire fed under the bonnet. Works fine and has past the test the last two years that way. Once home they get removed to the garage shelf for next year.

Is it SUMMER yet? 😬

Had my MOT today - only two things to do *thumbup*

i) Fix the side indicator on the off-side clam wing. I guess if they are fitted, they have to work - but no problem - quick re-wire.

ii) Re-fit cat equiped exhaust for re-testing of emissions. b*gger 'I have got the exhaust - is that good enough?'

'No'

☹️ Thanks to a quick delivery from Peter I have just wrestled with and re-fitted my old caterham exhaust, ready to be swapped back again tomorrow afternoon *mad*

It seems a lot of these MOT things depend entirely on the individual. Had to do the exhaust despite the fact everything else was checked briefly, if at all. No check or horn, no check of headlight alignment, brief look underneath, which is fine but it lacked consistancy!

Reverse lamps (old style) were not working, so I took them off - not fitted=not tested. May be the same with the repeaters?

New site! mycaterham.com

here

42,000 in 23 months!

Angus; I would have thought your car was pre CAT required or was it a factory build? I seem to remember reading somewhere that cars before 98? and NOT built by the factory did not have to have the CAT. maybe wrong never tried myself as I still run the original pipe.

Is it SUMMER yet? 😬

The standard 'bullet' indicators cant be clearly seen from the side so technically you need side repeaters - this has been a requirement since (ISTR) 1984.

I went through this with mine last year - in the end I was told by Caterham that side repeaters should be fitted but they got away with it without anyone realising for a long time.

It all depends on how clued-up your MOT man is ....

andycox, you are right about the cats - pre sva and kit built cars dont need one but post-98 and factory built cars will have to pass an emissions test appropriate to the car - my mot tester produced a book which includes emissions data for k-series caterhams from when they were first type-approved

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport

I dont believe in Fate, but I do believe in Sh*t, because Sh*t happens - here and here

• Support Team

Also second (or is that third) the opinion that pre 98 cars don't need a CAT - to prove it I have an MOT for my 1997 Superlight fitted with 4 into 1 and no CAT. As you say Angus, it depends on the MOT testers understanding and knowledge of the regulations. I think the best thing to do is find the relevant section in the MOT testers manual and show it to the test station. I also have no side repeaters on my car so these are also not necessary (cycle wings fitted).

I had my car MOT'd by Caterham (they use a local garage) and they seem to have no problems with CATS or side repeaters.

I am 99% certain that if you have a post 98 (can't remember the exact month but August rings a bell) you will need a CAT even if the car was kit built.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Just a thought, reading the thread, it is definite that you need side repeaters for a MOT but the all in one wrap around type are OK so what if you turn the existing pod through 45 Degrees so it can be seen from the front and side would that be alright?

• Leadership Team

I had to fit repeaters when the car was first MOT'd. The requirements are very clear, as JP has pointed out above.

The indicators used on 7s are marked E11 in a small circle - this identifies them as suitable for vehicle use in the EC - the same marking will be found on other bits on the car. However for MOT purposes an indicator must be marked with a different E marking that shows it has been designed and tested for use pointing forwards, and can be seen to an assessed standard from the side. The Caterham indicaters do not carry this marking,hence the need to fit the additional repeaters.

This applies to all vehicles since 1984, irrespective of amatuer or factory build, SVA, etc, etc. ie. ALL MODELS.

Stu.

Stu - technically you're no doubt correct, but 99% of all MOT testers don't know one end of their test manual from the other let alone knowing one E mark from another.

So in practice 9 times out of 10 you don't need side repeaters to get an MOT test, that's very different from being required by law to have them.

Mines been MOT'd 7 times now at three different garages, by at least 5 different testers and no-one has queried the lack of side repeaters.

• Leadership Team

Beware the situation if you need to make an insurance claim, and the inspector tries the "not legal roadworthy condition" clause *confused*

Each individuals choice at the end of the day. I ran for a couple of years without, then had to fit them. You'd be surprised at how much more visible the car is when pulling out from a junction in the dark - 7s aren't particularly safe in an impact situation - it's down to the individual as to how much you want to reduce your risks on the road.

Stu.

Well the world certainly isn't yellow and flashing, not on my car anyway.

Don't understand what you mean about black and white but I just get wound up by this constant worry about the minutiea (???) of legality. If we worried about everything we'd never drive more than 69.9 mph, we wouldn't wear full harnesses, we wouldn't wear crash helmets on the road, we wouldn't wear intercoms headsets, we'd all have to have rear exit exhausts, we'd all use E marked brake pads, no 100W bulbs in the headlights, we'd keep the Cat on, we'd keep the SVA padding on for life etc etc..... We'd never drive the thing in case someone hit us, we'd just pull the blanket over our heads and stay in bed all day. I could go on and on.

But everyone knows that you won't get pulled for wearing full harnesses because even the most dense copper can see it's safer so we all do it, nobody can tell if you've got 100W bulbs in headlights so we all use them, likewise we have very comprehensively discovered in this thread that 9 out of 10 MOT people will pass a car with no side repeaters.

So just lighten up (or actually don't light up if we're talking side repeaters.....) Yes they are a legal requirement, no you don't need to fit them to get an MOT (in most cases), they are really ugly (standard Caterham ones that is) so don't fit them!! Friday afternoon rant over. Not saying anymore.