Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VX Swindon - Bad knocking sound

Matt Sullivan

Might've over-revved my car (1992 VX Swindon 235) at RMA Bedford on Saturday.

Result: Bad knocking sound from the nearside camshaft, which rises with the revs. Engine still runs and idles, though very badly. Spoken to Swindon, they reckon it could be a valve spring. They reckon its unlikely the valve hit the piston unless I REALLY over-revved it.

Question: What am I looking for? I've taken off the cam cover, the shafts seem to be in good nick, and there's no loose pieces of metal! Cams are all present and correct and seem in good condition.

Where do I go from here? Any advice greatly received. Technical ability usually stretches to changing pads and plugs.

cheers, Matt.

Matt,

Nasty noises and no visible damage probably means that the head will have to come off for inspection. You could run a compression test which would at least show if you have a badly seated (bent) valve anywhere. You can also see the exhaust valves if you remove the manifold so this might give further clues.

Does the 235 spec have double springs? Take the cam cover off. Look at the cam buckets that are in the "up" position and press on them. If the valve spring is damaged, the one with the broken spring will be compressable with just a bit of pressure with a thumb. Turn the engine over by rocking the car forwards in gear and check the firmness on the rest of the cam buckets. I found this when I broke a spring and if one has broken, check the coressponding valve very carefully (Head off job). Mine looked ok but it didn't move very freely. Despite no obvious contact, the valve was bent.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 2 Jul 2003 01:29:44