Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VVC & Nitrous

markb905

Has anyone any experiance of using this in a seven 🤔, my car currently has a DVA VVC upgrade as well as forged pistons. the logical next step is to dump the VVC bits, TB's ECU etc, however the car is around 180bhp at present,

without being silly a nitrous kit giving +25bhp with a progressive controller would cost about £1200 fitted (Nitrous Solutions Ltd) and is cheaper than a solid cam conversion. this could however be uprated. but +25bhp at full throttle would seem a sensible uplift and not likely to do any damage? . if correctly set up.

So am i nuts or is it a viable option.

Mark

The basic conversion may be slightly cheaper than the other upgrade path you mentioned, but using NOS for any amount of time can get very expensive very quickly.

Check out the WSCC forum for some recent threads about this very subject - someone is running a Zetec with 50bhp jets and people were talking about doing it for bike engines.

Don't forget re-sale issues either - a car running NOS is likely to make people run a mile.

The Nitrous kit would be heavier wouldn't it? By a good chunk. So your 25bhp doesn't buy as much in real terms. And when the gas runs out, you have more weight and less power (than the properly upgraded engine).

Also, does the solid cam conversion really cost more than 1200 quid?

1200quid would only get you the ECU and the VVC conversion kit that uses a hydraulic profile and retains the original tappets. Throttle bodies, mech. tappets and any labour if you weren't willing to DIY would come on top, so yes it is more expensive.

I wouldn't go nitrous for general use, as being a tightwad I'd never press the button, knowing that each time I use it it's costing me.

However, I think it's interesting as a track device, to waste ****s that won't let you past on the straights. Had this at Snett with a V8 Ginetta that dawdled round the bends and nailed it on the straights.

Thanks for the thoughts, I had not thought of resale issues with this, but had when I decided to use DVA to do the original work (and any future work) as Dave's work is very well respected *thumbup*. However it is an issue with the nitrous as it is thought of as a bit of a black art/ bodge by most people, inc me!, the 11lb bottle with the kit gives about 13min of full throttle use for around £55 +vat so it's not cheap *eek*, but on the road it would probably last some time, and you can switch it off and just make do with the 180 ish that already available.

Mark

A few of the bike engined guys that looked at it also found insurance a major stumbling block, as many regular kit insurers wouldnt touch them with a barge pole, and they were even talking about making it semi-removable so that it could be used on track but wasnt functional when driving on the road.

Chris